* Re: rant OR what's missing from gnus
       [not found]   ` <slrnanpflk.3r5.wobo@molch.wolf-b.de>
@ 2002-09-10  3:28     ` Galen Boyer
From: Galen Boyer @ 2002-09-10  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, wobo@wolf-b.de wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Sep 2002 um 15:07 GMT schrieb Adam Sjøgren:
>> I haven't used mutt, maybe that's why I don't understand this: Why is
>> it more trouble to go to a group, than it is to be asked questions
>> about who you want to send as?
>>

> I use Mutt and I've been using Gnus, now slrn for a while for testing.
> The main difference as far as Adrian's complaint is concerned:
>
> In Mutt & slrn you hit a key and you are asked some questions in the
> status buffer (To, Subject in Mutt; Group, Subject in slrn). If you
> are in the group buffer in slrn the group is put in as default.
>
> Now in Gnus you have to move inside a group to post there. That is a
> bit inconvenient if you want to post into a group which is not listed
> because there aren't any unread postings at the moment. You have to
> switch group listing mode to "All subscribed Groups" then you go to
> the group in question and then you can post. You don't have to open
> the group, though.
>
> I think it's a matter of which style you are used to.

I can see this point.  There are sometimes when I have a thought and I
know exactly where I'd like to post to.  It would be nice to just ask
for a posting buffer and be prompted for the group I want.

This would be really nice when I'm in a SQL or java buffer and know I
need to ask a particular question to a certain group.  Right now, I have
to jump to the *Group* buffer, find the group and then hit C-u a.

No biggy, but would make it that much more right next to me, whenever I
need it, instead of "over there, in that *Group* buffer"

--
Galen deForest Boyer

* Re: rant OR what's missing from gnus
@ 2002-09-10  4:12       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-09-10  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Galen Boyer <galenboyer@hotpop.com> writes:

[...]

Adrian Kubala writes:
>> In Mutt & slrn you hit a key and you are asked some questions in the
>> status buffer (To, Subject in Mutt; Group, Subject in slrn). If you
>> are in the group buffer in slrn the group is put in as default.
>>
>> Now in Gnus you have to move inside a group to post there. That is a
>> bit inconvenient if you want to post into a group which is not listed
>> because there aren't any unread postings at the moment. You have to
>> switch group listing mode to "All subscribed Groups" then you go to
>> the group in question and then you can post. You don't have to open
>> the group, though.

Not sure I follow how mutts technique is different than what is
available in gnus.  One can press `m' in most non-composition type
buffers to start a message.  Once there many keycombos are available
for entering mail headers  or news headers.  All you really need to
know is the newsgroup or mail list name.  It isn't necessary to
actually enter a group.  Press `m' to get a message buffer, then
press C-h m to see the many possible commands.  One is to enter a
newsgroup header.

[...]

Galen writes:
> I can see this point.  There are sometimes when I have a thought and I
> know exactly where I'd like to post to.  It would be nice to just ask
> for a posting buffer and be prompted for the group I want.
>
> This would be really nice when I'm in a SQL or java buffer and know I
> need to ask a particular question to a certain group.  Right now, I have
> to jump to the *Group* buffer, find the group and then hit C-u a.

Now this is a little different since the buffer is not a gnus
buffer. but I'm pretty sure I remember discussion where it was now
possible to invoke gnus with the RMAIL command C-x m.  If so, then
the above comments about the resulting message buffer would allow all
the same things here.

Sorry Galen, I don't remember how its done to turn the C-x m rmail
command into a message buffer command, but pretty sure it is possible.

@ 2002-09-10 12:05     ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-09-10 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Bornath <wobo@wolf-b.de> writes:
> Now in Gnus you have to move inside a group to post there. That is a bit
> inconvenient if you want to post into a group which is not listed
> because there aren't any unread postings at the moment.

`M-1 a' (or `C-u 1 a') prompts with "Newsgroup: "

* Re: rant OR what's missing from gnus
       [not found] <878z2buyjb.fsf@sixfingeredman.net>
@ 2002-09-09 21:53 ` Linh Dang
       [not found] ` <877khv9p6y.fsf@virgil.koldfront.dk>
From: Linh Dang @ 2002-09-09 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian Kubala <adrian@sixfingeredman.net> writes:

> - Confusing server and group configuration. I expect to just be able
>   to define everything clearly in one spot in .gnus, but no, some
>   things /must/ be stored in .newsrc, and some things must be done
>   manually through various parts of the gnus interface -- I expect
>   that from Windows, but not gnus.

Gnus also decide to override your settings for nnfolder-directory and
co with the following code in gnus-start.el

    ;; Make sure the archive server is available to all and sundry.
    (when gnus-message-archive-method
      (unless (assoc "archive" gnus-server-alist)
	(push `("archive"
		nnfolder
		"archive"
		(nnfolder-directory
		 ,(nnheader-concat message-directory "archive"))
		(nnfolder-active-file
		 ,(nnheader-concat message-directory "archive/active"))
		(nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
		(nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t))
	      gnus-server-alist)))

I've been pulling my hair until i found the above piece of code. Don't
get me wrong, GNUS is still better than anyother alternative IMHO, but
it's more confusing than it needs to be.

--
Linh Dang