* Re: Undeleting mail on IMAP server ?
       [not found] <87lm75s1yf.fsf@nospam.eml.cc>
@ 2002-08-17 20:14 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-08-17 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know I'm following up a second time, but...

An alternative to get a more typical mailer-style effect, if you
really dislike what `B DEL' does now, would be to redefine `B DEL' to
a function which performs the same effect as `B m' (move message) to a
"deleted items" folder.  Then you can clean out that folder whenever
you see fit.

@ 2002-08-17 20:10 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-08-17 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mahesh Padmanabhan <news@nospam.eml.cc> writes:
> I am using GNUS as an IMAP client and B-del deletes mail as
> expected. I have often felt the need to undelete an email that I
> marked for deletion. I could not find any documentation ( or maybe I
> missed it ) on how to undelete a mail marked for deletion. Does such a
> command exist ?

The terminology here is "deletion" /vs/ "expiry".

When you `B DEL', the message dies immediately, now and forever.
There is no recovery.

If you want something to be scheduled for death, then hit `E' to mark
a message as expirable.  The default expiry interval is one week, at
which point it will be deleted automatically, as though you had hit it
then with `B DEL'.

Many mailers have a concept of a "deleted items" folder but Gnus does
not have that.  It has expiry instead, so that articles due to
disappear will remain where they belong until their expiry interval
arrives.