* Re: gnus-read-active-file 'some doesn't work
       [not found] <x7wuov2vpg.fsf@mail.sysarch.com>
@ 2002-10-07 18:45 ` Uri Guttman
       [not found]   ` <lm59ss27.fsf@ID-23066.news.dfncis.de>
From: Uri Guttman @ 2002-10-07 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

  UG> i recently upgraded to Oort Gnus v0.07 and it seems to have broken this:

  UG> (setq gnus-read-active-file 'some)

changing it to nil doesn't help. it seems to do some serious crunching
after fetching headers. on my slow old sparc it takes about 15
seconds. what is gnus crunching there and how can i speed it up or
bypass it? the previous version just fetched news and email and returned
almost immediately. now it blocks while crunching and that is very
annoying.

thanx,

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ------  uri@stemsystems.com  -------- http://www.stemsystems.com
----- Stem and Perl Development, Systems Architecture, Design and Coding ----

* Re: gnus-read-active-file 'some doesn't work
       [not found]       ` <m3vg4c7h4p.fsf@multivac.cwru.edu>
@ 2002-10-08 23:18         ` Uri Guttman
From: Uri Guttman @ 2002-10-08 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

  PJ> Uri Guttman <uri@stemsystems.com> wrote:
  >> how can i stop it?

  PJ> Add this to your .gnus:
  PJ> (setq gnus-agent nil)

that did it!!

given that i have a cable modem i don't need that offline agent. why is
is on by default? and what was it crunching? no need to answer them as
my problem is solved but i am curious. i did explore the agent stuff as
someone else suggested but nothing stopped the extra crunching until i
shut it off with that.

thanx,

uri