* How to get http://my.gnus.org to work in Netscape Communicator 4.74
       [not found] ` <878z25u8eu.fsf@virgil.koldfront.dk>
@ 2002-09-13 18:11   ` Don Saklad
From: Don Saklad @ 2002-09-13 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

With all due respect, is it another example of being arrogant and
patronizing?... There might be some way to get http://my.gnus.org
to work with Netscape Communicator 4.74 in the effort to reach novice
beginners who don't know a lot. There might be someone else who knows
what can be done for novices using Netscape. Rather than asking people
to make an adjustment, things could be set up so that people could get
the information from http://my.gnus.org in Netscape, buggy or not.

* Re: How to get http://my.gnus.org to work in Netscape Communicator 4.74
@ 2002-09-13 18:41     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2002-09-13 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13 Sep 2002 14:11:23 -0400, Don Saklad wrote:

> With all due respect, is it another example of being arrogant and
> patronizing?...

No, I don't think it is.

On the other hand I think it's slighly arrogant of you to imply that
the author of my.gnus.org should spend time working around bugs in
ancient, defective software.

It's is an unfortunate fact of life that Netscape 4 is defect in such
a way, that it tries to interpret some of the standards (especially
stylesheets) related to the world wide web in very wrong ways.

If Netscape 4 did what the standards say - ignore the stuff you don't
understand - there would be no problem. But it doesn't.

Due to those problems, it is not recommendable that anyone use
Netscape 4.

> There might be some way to get http://my.gnus.org to work with
> Netscape Communicator 4.74 in the effort to reach novice beginners
> who don't know a lot.

There might be. To know whether the effort that would take is
worthwhile, you need to consider how that time could otherwise be
spent benefitting novices and others a whole lot more.

If you don't agree, tell me this: Why Netscape 4? Why not version 3, 2
or 1?

> There might be someone else who knows what can be done for novices
> using Netscape. Rather than asking people to make an adjustment,
> things could be set up so that people could get the information from
> http://my.gnus.org in Netscape, buggy or not.

You yourself pointed out the obvious thing to do: Use Microsoft
Internet Explorer. Most novices do. I merely added some of the other
choices that people, novices and experts alike, have to the list.

  Best regards,

--
 "Ok, so we didn't learn any big lesson. Sue me."              Adam Sjøgren
 "Live and don't learn, that's us."                       asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: How to get http://my.gnus.org to work in Netscape Communicator 4.74
@ 2002-09-13 21:12     ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-09-13 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Don Saklad <dsaklad@nestle.ai.mit.edu> writes:
> With all due respect, is it another example of being arrogant and
> patronizing?

With as little respect as I can get away with, are you a continuing
example of a whiny user who is incapable of moving forward in any
venue?

NS4 is not less than 3 years out of date.  Netscape itself does not
support it any longer, having moved onto NS7.  The standards of the
world have moved forward; a piece of software whose capabilities are
fixed at the technological boundary of 3 years ago will not be able to
cope with today's needs.

You are still using Gnus 5.7, even though as much as a year ago the
difficulties with continuing to use 5.7 were explained to you, and
still you refuse to expend the effort to upgrade.

You are still using Emacs 20, even though Emacs 21 (and XEmacs 21)
have also been out for considerable time.  In fact, Gnus 5.8's release
was timed so as to be able to become 5.9 within the Emacs 21 release.

One can only wonder if any x86 boxes you own are still running Win3.1.

The world will not sit still for you.

You ask question after question after question after question after
question...yet you are _*/NEVER/*_ satisfied with _*/ANY/*_ answer you
are given.  _*/NOTHING/*_ is good enough for you.

Fine: Walk away from Gnus.  And Emacs.  And Netscape.  Clearly, from
your perspective, the problem is with the entire rest of the human
race, and you are the one shining beacon of reason.

I hesitate to call you a troll, because it has become too common to
complain of trolls.  But you are at the edge of being one nonetheless.

* Re: Netscape 4.74  and http://my.gnus.org
       [not found] <y44u1ktbzxc.fsf@nestle.ai.mit.edu>
       [not found] ` <878z25u8eu.fsf@virgil.koldfront.dk>
@ 2002-09-14 20:11 ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2002-09-14 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Don Saklad <dsaklad@nestle.ai.mit.edu> writes:

> http://my gnus.org didn't work!
>
> How do you fix it so Netscape Communicator 4.74

Just disable JavaScript (which also disables CSS support) and the page
will work without problems. Netscape 4.x has very buggy CSS support.

--
Kalle Valo

* Re: Netscape 4.74  and http://my.gnus.org
@ 2002-09-14 23:54   ` Don Saklad
From: Don Saklad @ 2002-09-14 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you Kalle Valo!

How do you disable javascript?...

Help didn't appear to have the information.