* Newbies questions
@ 2007-07-25 17:17 someusernamehere
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: someusernamehere @ 2007-07-25 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Here are some newbies questions about Gnus:

* How I can receive messages each X time?

* It's possible that Gnus play a sound with a mail arrive?

* How I can send a new message in some newsgroup? (for mail I use M-x
gnus-msg-mail RET)

thanks

* Re: Newbies questions
@ 2007-07-25 18:24 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2007-07-25 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

someusernamehere <someusernamehere@gmail.com> writes:
> Here are some newbies questions about Gnus:

You really need to get used to reading the manual.  Nearly all of what
you want can be found there.

> * How I can receive messages each X time?

info://Gnus/Daemons

My use of this:
a. Scan for mail every 5min, regardless of current activity.
b. Scan for new news every 20min, if I've left Gnus idle for 20min.

;;
;; level 2: only mail groups are scanned.
(defun gnus-demon-scan-mail-and-update ()
"Scan for new mail, updating the *Group* buffer."
  (gnus-demon-scan-mail-or-news-and-update 2))
(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-mail-and-update 5 nil)
;;
;; level 3: mail and local news groups are scanned.
(defun gnus-demon-scan-news-and-update ()
"Scan for new mail, updating the *Group* buffer."
  (gnus-demon-scan-mail-or-news-and-update 3))
(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-news-and-update 20 20)

> * It's possible that Gnus play a sound with a mail arrive?

Unless you're kicking Gnus to life every time mail arrives, that's
probably not something you want to do.  On the other hand, most mail
notifier systems, including GNOME's (which I use), provide a facility
to execute arbitrary commands when mail arrival is seen.  Among the
things you could do is to invoke the "play" command with a suitable
sound file.

> * How I can send a new message in some newsgroup?

`C-h m' will show you a buffer's per-mode settings.  Look for what's
found for the binding on `a' in either *Group* or *Summary*.
info://Gnus/Summary+Post+Commands

* Re: Newbies questions
@ 2007-07-25 18:27 ` Dick Hoogendijk
From: Dick Hoogendijk @ 2007-07-25 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

someusernamehere <someusernamehere@gmail.com> writes:

> * How I can send a new message in some newsgroup? (for mail I use M-x
> gnus-msg-mail RET)

News: 'a'
Mail: 'm'

--
Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
++ http://nagual.nl/ + Solaris 11 05/07 ++

* Re: Newbies questions
@ 2007-07-25 18:49 ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2007-07-25 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

someusernamehere <someusernamehere@gmail.com> writes:

> Here are some newbies questions about Gnus:
>
> * How I can receive messages each X time?

Look up "demon" or "daemon" in the manual.

> * It's possible that Gnus play a sound with a mail arrive?

Probably a simple matter of Lisp coding hooking into the daemon firing.

> * How I can send a new message in some newsgroup? (for mail I use M-x
> gnus-msg-mail RET)

Easy way: press "a" from a summary buffer in that group.

Easy way 2: press "a" from the group buffer and fill in the Newsgroups:
header.

Easy way 3: press "C-u a" from the group buffer with the point on the
target group.

Hard way: M-x message-news

Hard way 2: in your existing Message buffer, insert a Newsgroups: header
and remove whatever To: or Cc: header is already there.

  --dzm

* Re: Newbies questions
@ 2007-07-25 18:53   ` someusernamehere
From: someusernamehere @ 2007-07-25 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Jul 25, 1:24 pm, Karl Kleinpaste <inva...@kleinpaste.org> wrote:
> someusernamehere <someusernameh...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Here are some newbies questions about Gnus:
>
> You really need to get used to reading the manual.  Nearly all of what
> you want can be found there.
>
> > * How I can receive messages each X time?
>
> info://Gnus/Daemons
>
> My use of this:
> a. Scan for mail every 5min, regardless of current activity.
> b. Scan for new news every 20min, if I've left Gnus idle for 20min.
>
> ;;
> ;; level 2: only mail groups are scanned.
> (defun gnus-demon-scan-mail-and-update ()
> "Scan for new mail, updating the *Group* buffer."
>   (gnus-demon-scan-mail-or-news-and-update 2))
> (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-mail-and-update 5 nil)
> ;;
> ;; level 3: mail and local news groups are scanned.
> (defun gnus-demon-scan-news-and-update ()
> "Scan for new mail, updating the *Group* buffer."
>   (gnus-demon-scan-mail-or-news-and-update 3))
> (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-news-and-update 20 20)

Thanks, but, where I define theses levels (2 and 3) for mail and news?
or this is by defauld defined??

* Re: Newbies questions
@ 2007-07-25 21:35     ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2007-07-25 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

someusernamehere <someusernamehere@gmail.com> writes:
> Thanks, but, where I define theses levels (2 and 3) for mail and news?

The last time you asked questions, I told you about level assignments
for groups.  Use `S l' in *Group* to define the level number of your
groups.  Put mail groups on level 1 or 2.  (I use 1 for personal
[therefore important] mail groups, and 2 for mailing lists and so
forth.)  Default level for newly-subscribed groups is 3, I believe.

Every time I respond to questions such as yours, I pepper my response
heavily with references to the manual.  Use those references.  It's
fine to ask questions; it's not fine to ask questions whose answers
you've already got, if only you'll look around yourself for them.
When you find a concept referenced that you don't immediately
recognize, at least look through the manual's index for it.

info://Gnus/Group+Levels

* Re: Newbies questions
@ 2007-07-25 23:26   ` someusernamehere
From: someusernamehere @ 2007-07-25 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Jul 25, 1:24 pm, Karl Kleinpaste <inva...@kleinpaste.org> wrote:
> someusernamehere <someusernameh...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Here are some newbies questions about Gnus:
>
> You really need to get used to reading the manual.  Nearly all of what
> you want can be found there.
>
> > * How I can receive messages each X time?
>
> info://Gnus/Daemons
>
> My use of this:
> a. Scan for mail every 5min, regardless of current activity.
> b. Scan for new news every 20min, if I've left Gnus idle for 20min.
>
> ;;
> ;; level 2: only mail groups are scanned.
> (defun gnus-demon-scan-mail-and-update ()
> "Scan for new mail, updating the *Group* buffer."
>   (gnus-demon-scan-mail-or-news-and-update 2))
> (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-mail-and-update 5 nil)
> ;;
> ;; level 3: mail and local news groups are scanned.
> (defun gnus-demon-scan-news-and-update ()
> "Scan for new mail, updating the *Group* buffer."
>   (gnus-demon-scan-mail-or-news-and-update 3))
> (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-news-and-update 20 20)

mmmm simply this doesn't work for me, I have setup the mail with level
2 and news
with level 3 and pasted these lines in my .gnus.el but my gnus dont
scan for new mail
never :-(

* Re: Newbies questions
@ 2007-07-25 23:59     ` Karl Kleinpaste
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2007-07-25 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

someusernamehere <someusernamehere@gmail.com> writes:
> mmmm simply this doesn't work for me, I have setup the mail with
> level 2 and news with level 3 and pasted these lines in my .gnus.el
> but my gnus dont scan for new mail never

Well, objectively, it does work.  I've been using those capabilities
for a decade or more.

Did you restart Gnus, in order that .gnus.el would be re-evaluated?
If you did restart Gnus, what happened after 5min?  There won't be any
big announcement by Gnus -- it will just abruptly go off to check for
mail without any advance confirmation or preparation.

* Re: Newbies questions
@ 2007-07-26  0:20       ` someusernamehere
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4002.1185433725.32220.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: someusernamehere @ 2007-07-26  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Jul 25, 6:59 pm, Karl Kleinpaste <inva...@kleinpaste.org> wrote:
> someusernamehere <someusernameh...@gmail.com> writes:
> > mmmm simply this doesn't work for me, I have setup the mail with
> > level 2 and news with level 3 and pasted these lines in my .gnus.el
> > but my gnus dont scan for new mail never
>
> Well, objectively, it does work.  I've been using those capabilities
> for a decade or more.
>
> Did you restart Gnus, in order that .gnus.el would be re-evaluated?
> If you did restart Gnus, what happened after 5min?  There won't be any
> big announcement by Gnus -- it will just abruptly go off to check for
> mail without any advance confirmation or preparation.

I know what is the problem, is needed initialize gnus-demon-init
manually, I dont know why
manually, so I have this in my .emacs but doesnt work

(setq gnus-use-demon t)
(gnus-demon-init)
(gnus-compile)

if I initialize manually ( M-x gnus-demon-init RET ) all works OK.

:-/

help

* Re: Newbies questions
@ 2007-07-26  7:07       ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4002.1185433725.32220.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-07-26  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Karl Kleinpaste <invalid@kleinpaste.org> writes:

>> mmmm simply this doesn't work for me, I have setup the mail with
>> level 2 and news with level 3 and pasted these lines in my .gnus.el
>> but my gnus dont scan for new mail never
>
> Well, objectively, it does work.  I've been using those capabilities
> for a decade or more.

Maybe it doesn't work for him because

      gnus-demon-scan-news-and-update
      gnus-demon-scan-mail-and-update

are no predefined gnus functions? ;-)

Bye,
Tassilo
--
You know how they say if you die in your dream then you will die in real
life? In  actuality, if you dream  of death then Chuck  Norris will find

* Re: Newbies questions
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4002.1185433725.32220.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2007-07-26 10:33         ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2007-07-26 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Maybe it doesn't work for him because
>       gnus-demon-scan-news-and-update
>       gnus-demon-scan-mail-and-update
> are no predefined gnus functions?

No, those are the functions I gave him.

But what I did wrong was to neglect to provide the base function
needed for the two utility functions:

;; level-specified group scanner.
(defun gnus-demon-scan-mail-or-news-and-update (level)
"Scan for new mail, updating the *Group* buffer."
  (let ((win (current-window-configuration)))
    (unwind-protect
        (save-window-excursion
          (save-excursion
            (when (gnus-alive-p)
              (save-excursion
                (set-buffer gnus-group-buffer)
                (gnus-group-get-new-news level)))))
      (set-window-configuration win))))

Without this, the two demon functions I offered should have blown up
completely on an undef error.

* Re: Newbies questions
@ 2007-07-26 14:54         ` someusernamehere
From: someusernamehere @ 2007-07-26 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> I know what is the problem, is needed initialize gnus-demon-init
> manually, I dont know why
> manually, so I have this in my .emacs but doesnt work
>
> (setq gnus-use-demon t)
> (gnus-demon-init)
> (gnus-compile)
>
> if I initialize manually ( M-x gnus-demon-init RET ) all works OK.

and what about my problem this???

* Re: Newbies questions
@ 2007-07-26 19:38           ` Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo
From: Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo @ 2007-07-26 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)