* Gnus,nnimap,notifications...
@ 2006-03-24 18:32 Kirill Kuvaldin
From: Kirill Kuvaldin @ 2006-03-24 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello folks.
Gnus seems to be a flexible tool to read mail. I prefer to use imap protocol
for reading mail. Does Gnus support the features like automatic mail check and
like notifications when new mail arrives.

Cheers
Kirill

* Re: Gnus,nnimap,notifications...
@ 2006-03-24 19:27 ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2006-03-24 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kirill Kuvaldin <kuvkir@mac.com> writes:

> Gnus seems to be a flexible tool to read mail. I prefer to use imap protocol
> for reading mail. Does Gnus support the features like automatic mail
> check

Yes; look for "daemons" in the manual.

> and like notifications when new mail arrives.

Depending on what you're looking for, probably not, but I've noticed
quite a few other tools recently that can monitor IMAP mailboxes for
new messages, and those should work fine alongside Gnus.  It looks
like you're using CVS Emacs under Linux, so you might see if your
preferred desktop environment has a useful tool for this.

With IMAP in Gnus in particular, you have two options, which roughly
boil down to "read the mail on the server" (using nnimap) or "grab the
mail and read it locally" (using another mail backend such as nnml
with an imap mail-source).

  --dzm