* Is it safe to run 2 instances of gnus?
@ 2002-09-20 21:38 dave
       [not found] ` <m24rbj4o8s.fsf@beth.swift.xxx>
From: dave @ 2002-09-20 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

My ISP doesn't allow me to send mail through its mail server except
from my home computer (at least that's the case with gnus). So, in
order to avoid ever using my company's mail server for outgoing
personal mail, I usually ssh to my home machine and run gnus over ssh.
The problem is that I often forget to shut down gnus before leaving
for the weekend and have no way to shut it down from home so that I
can check my mail.

Is it safe to just run another instance of gnus as long as they aren't
both accessing my mail on the server at the same time? Or is there a
signal I can send the emacs process that'll shut it down cleanly?

TIA

* Re: Is it safe to run 2 instances of gnus?
       [not found] ` <m24rbj4o8s.fsf@beth.swift.xxx>
@ 2002-10-18 18:22   ` Chris Majewski
From: Chris Majewski @ 2002-10-18 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Swift <swift@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> >> On 20 Sep 2002 14:38:42 -0700, dave  <dave_vb@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
>     D> The problem is that I often forget to shut down gnus before leaving
>     D> for the weekend and have no way to shut it down from home so that I
>     D> can check my mail.
>
> [...]
>
>     D> Or is there a signal I can send the emacs process that'll shut
>     D> it down cleanly?
>
> Using a slave is a good solution, but FYI, there are ways to shut down
> Gnus cleanly from another machine.

Sorry, I  can't find  the start of  this thread.  What do you  mean by
"using a slave"?

-chris