* An unusual problem?
@ 2005-05-25  0:05 John Taylor
From: John Taylor @ 2005-05-25  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

For some reason I cannot discover, emacs does not shutdown at the
 C-xC-c command.
I'm running Redhat 9, and this problem cropped up apparently from the
 blue
(i.e. I hadn't installed/changed anything that I was aware of).
Everything seems to be working fine within the program (w3m, mew, eshell). Any ideas?

* Re: An unusual problem?
@ 2005-05-25  5:45 ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2005-05-25  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Taylor <jt319@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> For some reason I cannot discover, emacs does not shutdown at the
>  C-xC-c command.
> I'm running Redhat 9, and this problem cropped up apparently from the
>  blue
> (i.e. I hadn't installed/changed anything that I was aware of).
> Everything seems to be working fine within the program (w3m, mew, eshell). Any ideas?

Only to check that C-x C-c is bound to save-buffers-kill-emacs

Do  C-hC-k  and then input C-xC-c

what is that Key-combo bound to?

atb

Glyn

* Re: An unusual problem?
@ 2005-05-26 23:36   ` John Taylor
From: John Taylor @ 2005-05-26 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

C-xC-c is still bound to save-buffers-kill-emacs.
When I run it, the reponse 'No buffers need saving' etc.
still comes up, but then it simply doesn't exit.
I can open new buffers and continue.
It seems such a strange problem.
John
--
Non licet pecuniam expetere pro alicui, quid partem horum verborum
continet; haec verba pro omnibus gratis erant et manent.

* Re: An unusual problem?
@ 2005-05-27  0:24     ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2005-05-27  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Taylor <jt319@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> C-xC-c is still bound to save-buffers-kill-emacs. When I run it, the
> reponse 'No buffers need saving' etc. still comes up, but then it
> simply doesn't exit. I can open new buffers and continue. It seems
> such a strange problem.

Have you tried starting emacs with "emacs -q -no-site-file" (don't
load user or system init files)?

What is the value of `kill-emacs-query-functions'?

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: An unusual problem?
@ 2005-05-28  0:23       ` John Taylor
From: John Taylor @ 2005-05-28  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:

> John Taylor <jt319@cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > C-xC-c is still bound to save-buffers-kill-emacs. When I run it, the
> > reponse 'No buffers need saving' etc. still comes up, but then it
> > simply doesn't exit. I can open new buffers and continue. It seems
> > such a strange problem.
>
> Have you tried starting emacs with "emacs -q -no-site-file" (don't
> load user or system init files)?
>
> What is the value of `kill-emacs-query-functions'?
>
> --
> Johan Bockgård

I hadn't tried that, no, and yes, it does shut down fine with the C-xC-c command.
I can't seem to find the kill-emacs-query-functions...
Perhaps that's the problem?!? Could you specify how I should find it?
I omitted to mention that M-x kill-emacs still functions, if that helps.
Thanks

--

@ 2005-05-28  0:34         ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2005-05-28  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Taylor <jt319@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> I hadn't tried that, no, and yes, it does shut down fine with the
> C-xC-c command. I can't seem to find the
> kill-emacs-query-functions... Perhaps that's the problem?!? Could
> you specify how I should find it? I omitted to mention that M-x
> kill-emacs still functions, if that helps.

Use C-h v (describe-variable).

The docstring says:

    Functions to call with no arguments to query about killing Emacs.
    If any of these functions returns nil, killing Emacs is cancelled.
    `save-buffers-kill-emacs' (C-x C-c) calls these functions, but
    `kill-emacs', the low level primitive, does not. See also
    `kill-emacs-hook'.

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: An unusual problem?
@ 2005-05-28  7:32           ` John Taylor
From: John Taylor @ 2005-05-28  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:
> Use C-h v (describe-variable).
>
> The docstring says:
>
>     Functions to call with no arguments to query about killing Emacs.
>     If any of these functions returns nil, killing Emacs is cancelled.
>     `save-buffers-kill-emacs' (C-x C-c) calls these functions, but
>     `kill-emacs', the low level primitive, does not. See also
>     `kill-emacs-hook'.
>
> --
> Johan Bockgård

All I get is this:
'kill-emacs-query-functions's value is
(timeclock-query-out)'

What do I need to do - change the variable to 't' somewhere?!?

--

@ 2005-05-28 21:50             ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2005-05-28 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Taylor <jt319@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:
>> Use C-h v (describe-variable).
>>
>> The docstring says:
>>
>>     Functions to call with no arguments to query about killing Emacs.
>>     If any of these functions returns nil, killing Emacs is cancelled.
>>     `save-buffers-kill-emacs' (C-x C-c) calls these functions, but
>>     `kill-emacs', the low level primitive, does not. See also
>>     `kill-emacs-hook'.
>>

> All I get is this:
> 'kill-emacs-query-functions's value is
> (timeclock-query-out)'
>
> What do I need to do - change the variable to 't' somewhere?!?

In the development version of emacs the function's definition is this:

(defun timeclock-query-out ()
  "Ask the user whether to clock out.
This is a useful function for adding to `kill-emacs-query-functions'."
  (and (equal (car timeclock-last-event) "i")
       (y-or-n-p "You're currently clocking time, clock out? ")
       (timeclock-out))
  ;; Unconditionally return t for `kill-emacs-query-functions'.
  t)

In your version it may return nil.

You could patch the function or wrap it in a function that always
returns `t' and add that to kill-emacs-query-functions instead.

That is, replace

(add-hook 'kill-emacs-query-functions 'timeclock-query-out)

with

(add-hook 'kill-emacs-query-functions (lambda () (timeclock-query-out) t))

--
Johan Bockgård