* Message followup
@ 2006-06-07  6:45 Barbara Koenig
From: Barbara Koenig @ 2006-06-07  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have the following question concerning message followups in gnus:
until now when I did a followup to a mail in gnus (i.e., reply to
everybody in the from and cc) my own e-mail address was not among the
recipients. For me this was as it should be, since I create my own
copy with Gcc.

Now I changed my e-mail address and put my new address into all the
relevant variables, especially I set "user-mail-address" in
.xemacs/init.el. My old address is not mentioned anymore anywhere (as
far as I can tell, I checked .gnus.el, .xemacs/init.el).

However when I reply to mails sent to my new address, the address is
always included in the list of recipients. But when I reply to mails
sent to my old address, the address is not included (as it was
originally).

What are the variables, functions governing this behaviour? What
should I check? I am using gnus-5.10.6, xemacs-21.4.

Thanks for any hint,

Barbara

* Re: Message followup
@ 2006-06-07 10:05 ` Malte Spiess
From: Malte Spiess @ 2006-06-07 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Barbara Koenig <barbarak@gmx.net> writes:

> I have the following question concerning message followups in gnus:
> until now when I did a followup to a mail in gnus (i.e., reply to
> everybody in the from and cc) my own e-mail address was not among the
> recipients. For me this was as it should be, since I create my own
> copy with Gcc.

> Now I changed my e-mail address and put my new address into all the
> relevant variables, especially I set "user-mail-address" in
> .xemacs/init.el. My old address is not mentioned anymore anywhere (as
> far as I can tell, I checked .gnus.el, .xemacs/init.el).
>
> However when I reply to mails sent to my new address, the address is
> always included in the list of recipients. But when I reply to mails
> sent to my old address, the address is not included (as it was
> originally).

I can't tell you that unless you tell us what function you use to reply.
There are various that can be used, probably you only need to find the
one that does what you want.

On my (standard) Gnus in Debian, the keys bound to those "reply"-functions
are r, R, f, F, ..., also found in the menu.

> Thanks for any hint,
>
> Barbara

Greetings

Malte

* Re: Message followup
@ 2006-06-07 10:15   ` Barbara Koenig
From: Barbara Koenig @ 2006-06-07 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Malte Spiess <cuts@arcor.de> writes:

>> However when I reply to mails sent to my new address, the address is
>> always included in the list of recipients. But when I reply to mails
>> sent to my old address, the address is not included (as it was
>> originally).
>
> I can't tell you that unless you tell us what function you use to reply.
> There are various that can be used, probably you only need to find the
> one that does what you want.
>
> On my (standard) Gnus in Debian, the keys bound to those "reply"-functions
> are r, R, f, F, ..., also found in the menu.

O.K., sorry. I am using gnus-summary-followup (f) and
gnups-summary-followup-with-original (F).

And - as I said - both remove my old address and keep my new (in the
CC header). And I have no idea what governs this behaviour.

Barbara

* Re: Message followup
@ 2006-06-07 12:49     ` Malte Spiess
From: Malte Spiess @ 2006-06-07 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Barbara Koenig <barbarak@gmx.net> writes:

> Malte Spiess <cuts@arcor.de> writes:
>

>>> However when I reply to mails sent to my new address, the address is
>>> always included in the list of recipients. But when I reply to mails
>>> sent to my old address, the address is not included (as it was
>>> originally).
>>
>> I can't tell you that unless you tell us what function you use to reply.
>> There are various that can be used, probably you only need to find the
>> one that does what you want.
>>
>> On my (standard) Gnus in Debian, the keys bound to those "reply"-functions
>> are r, R, f, F, ..., also found in the menu.
>
> O.K., sorry. I am using gnus-summary-followup (f) and
> gnups-summary-followup-with-original (F).
>
> And - as I said - both remove my old address and keep my new (in the
> CC header). And I have no idea what governs this behaviour.

And you want... ?

I guess this may be a problem with the gnus-posting-styles or something
like that - there are lots of alternatives for changing the addresses in
the fields.

Maybe if you post the parts with the mail-adresses of your .gnus that
may help.

> Barbara

Malte

P. S.: You might also consider using de.comm.software.gnus (for future
       questions), if you like a "native speaking" ng. ;-)

* Re: Message followup
@ 2006-06-07 13:06 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2006-06-07 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Barbara Koenig <barbarak@gmx.net> writes:

> I have the following question concerning message followups in gnus:
> until now when I did a followup to a mail in gnus (i.e., reply to
> everybody in the from and cc) my own e-mail address was not among
> the recipients. For me this was as it should be, since I create my
> own copy with Gcc.
>
> Now I changed my e-mail address and put my new address into all the
> relevant variables, especially I set "user-mail-address" in
> .xemacs/init.el. My old address is not mentioned anymore anywhere
> (as far as I can tell, I checked .gnus.el, .xemacs/init.el).

The variable message-dont-reply-to-names, if set, takes precedence
over user-mail-address.

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: Message followup
@ 2006-06-07 13:25     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-06-07 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----[ (info "(message)Wide Reply") ]
|    Addresses that match the `message-dont-reply-to-names' regular
| expression will be removed from the `Cc' header.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Message followup
@ 2006-06-08 14:36       ` Barbara Koenig
From: Barbara Koenig @ 2006-06-08 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> And - as I said - both remove my old address and keep my new (in the
>> CC header). And I have no idea what governs this behaviour.
>
> ,----[ (info "(message)Wide Reply") ]
> |    Addresses that match the `message-dont-reply-to-names' regular
> | expression will be removed from the `Cc' header.
> `----

Thanks for the suggestions. All this sounds quite plausible, but
user-mail-address is correctly set to my new address and
message-dont-reply-to-names is set to nil.

There must be some other power at work here. I even tried to start
with a vanilla xemacs (with only absolutely minimal gnus settings) and
I observed the same behaviour (old address deleted, new address kept),
although user-mail-address was not even set. I have no idea where gnus
takes this information from.

I now solved my problem by setting message-dont-reply-to-names to my
new address and now everything works as it should. I am still puzzled
but decided not to waste any more time on this (not that important)
problem.

Thanks again,

Barbara

* Re: Message followup
@ 2006-06-08 15:51         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-06-08 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 08 2006, Barbara Koenig wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>> ,----[ (info "(message)Wide Reply") ]
>> |    Addresses that match the `message-dont-reply-to-names' regular
>> | expression will be removed from the `Cc' header.
>> `----
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. All this sounds quite plausible, but
> user-mail-address is correctly set to my new address and
> message-dont-reply-to-names is set to nil.

The function `rmail-dont-reply-to' in XEmacs 21.4 (in `mail-utils.el')
doesn't honor `user-mail-address', it only looks at the result of
`user-login-name' (see `M-: (user-login-name) RET').  Probably your
username matched the old address, but doesn't match the new address.

BTW, you might want to look into question 5.12 of the Gnus FAQ:

,----[ (info "(gnus)[5.12]") ]
| Question 5.12
|
| People tell me my Message-IDs are not correct, why aren't they and how
| to fix it?
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Message followup
@ 2006-06-08 16:48           ` Barbara Koenig
From: Barbara Koenig @ 2006-06-08 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The function `rmail-dont-reply-to' in XEmacs 21.4 (in `mail-utils.el')
> doesn't honor `user-mail-address', it only looks at the result of
> `user-login-name' (see `M-: (user-login-name) RET').  Probably your
> username matched the old address, but doesn't match the new address.

Yes, that's it. Thanks for the explanation!

> BTW, you might want to look into question 5.12 of the Gnus FAQ:
> |
> | People tell me my Message-IDs are not correct, why aren't they and how
> | to fix it?

You're trying to tell me that my message-ids are not o.k., right?
I'll try to fix it.

Barbara