* Re: switching to summary view takes over window
       [not found] ` <u4qtof0vw.fsf@isisSEND.vanderbiltME.eduSPAM>
@ 2004-02-18 23:21   ` gabe anzelini
From: gabe anzelini @ 2004-02-18 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Hanak <dhanakDONT@isisSEND.vanderbiltME.eduSPAM> writes:

> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, gabe anzelini wrote:
>
> > I like to have multiple frames open (for editing and stuff) but whenever I
> > move around in gnus, especially when i move to summary, it takes over the
> > window. Can someone point me to where I can see where to get around this?
> > Thanks...
>
> Huh, either I don't really understand what the problem is, or you happen to
> use the words "window" and "frame" in an unfortunate way.  Please ignore
> this if you are aware of the following: in Emacs, the term "frame" is used
> to refer to the application window having a menu bar, minibuffer, etc.,
> decorated by the window manager.  You can have multiple frames in Emacs.
> "window", on the other hand, is the area within a frame which displays a
> (part of a) buffer.  Again, you can have multiple windows within a single
> frame, each having a separate modeline and scrollbar.  See
> (info "(emacs)Frames").
>
> In this sense, "taking over the whole window" is quite alright.  Having
> multiple frames is an entirely independent issue, and Gnus shouldn't (and I
> think, hope it doesn't) interfere with other frames.  If you mean that Gnus
> likes to use the entire frame for itself, then yes, that is correct.  But
> you can always have a separate frame for Gnus.
>
> But correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> --
> David Hanak - Research Engineer
> Institute for Software Integrated Systems  |  http://www.isis.vanderbilt.edu
> Vanderbilt University                      |      Work phone: (615) 343 1319
> Box 1829, Station B, Nashville, TN 37235   |            PGP key ID: 266BC45F

i got them backwards... i have one frame with multiple windows inside it... gnus seems to take over the whole frame reducing my number of frames to 1 or 2 (1 for summary and 2 for preview)... either way the window with the buffer of my script got pushed back and i have to split the window again and reswitch to it... doesnt seem to me that gnus should take over a frame, rather just work within the context of its current window... let me know if i am way off here or if i just overlooked this in the docs... thanks

* Re: switching to summary view takes over window
@ 2004-02-18 23:28     ` Jason Dufair
From: Jason Dufair @ 2004-02-18 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

gabe anzelini <usenet@c0s.org> writes:

> i got them backwards... i have one frame with multiple windows inside
> it... gnus seems to take over the whole frame reducing my number of
> frames to 1 or 2 (1 for summary and 2 for preview)... either way the
> window with the buffer of my script got pushed back and i have to
> split the window again and reswitch to it... doesnt seem to me that
> gnus should take over a frame, rather just work within the context of
> its current window... let me know if i am way off here or if i just
> overlooked this in the docs... thanks

Gnus is designed to use the entire frame.  I rather like this aspect.  I
typically have 2 frames up.  My shell/editing frame and my Gnus frame.
YMMV.

--
Jason Dufair - jase@dufair.org
http://www.dufair.org/

* Re: switching to summary view takes over window
       [not found] <86k72kkupq.fsf@tyler.c0s.org>
       [not found] ` <u4qtof0vw.fsf@isisSEND.vanderbiltME.eduSPAM>
@ 2004-02-18 23:30 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2004-02-18 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----[ C-h v gnus-use-full-window RET ]

`----

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: switching to summary view takes over window
@ 2004-02-18 23:47   ` gabe anzelini
From: gabe anzelini @ 2004-02-18 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:

> gabe anzelini <usenet@c0s.org> writes:
>
> > I like to have multiple frames open (for editing and stuff) but
> > whenever I move around in gnus, especially when i move to summary,
> > it takes over the window. Can someone point me to where I can see
> > where to get around this?
>
> ,----[ C-h v gnus-use-full-window RET ]
> | gnus-use-full-window's value is t
> |
> | Documentation:
> | *If non-nil, use the entire Emacs screen.
> |
> | You can customize this variable.
> |
> | Defined in `gnus-win'.
> `----
>
> --