* Re: faces being ignored?
       [not found]       ` <yqr8yzffilh.fsf@cs.york.ac.uk>
       [not found]         ` <84ptsr46t5.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
@ 2002-11-27 13:33         ` Kester Clegg
From: Kester Clegg @ 2002-11-27 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mmmm, this seems to be odder than I thought.  Even trying to set the
faces using a mode hook doesn't seem to work.  I have the following
(shortened) in my .emacs:

(defun do-w3-font-hook()
  (custom-set-faces
   ;; basic face
   '(w3-style-face-00000 ((t (:family "helvetica"
			      :weight normal
                              :underline nil
                              :foreground "wheat"
                              :background "darkslategray"))))
[...]

   ;; 00006 sets <strong>
   '(w3-style-face-00006 ((t (:family "helvetica"
			      :weight bold
                              :underline nil
                              :foreground "wheat"
                              :background "darkslategray"))))
   ))

(add-hook 'w3-mode-hook 'do-w3-font-hook)

Bizarrely this doesn't seem to get loaded when I first read an html mail
in gnus.  However, if I redisplay, or try to follow a link, sure enough
from that point on, my faces come up good and true.

So what's wrong with the initial loading?

Kester Clegg				Dept. of Computer Science,
Research Assistant (UTC)		University of York,
Tel (01904) 43 27 49			email: kester at cs.york.ac.uk

* Re: faces being ignored?
       [not found]         ` <84ptsr46t5.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
@ 2002-11-27 11:06           ` Kester Clegg
From: Kester Clegg @ 2002-11-27 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> > Anyhow, I'll try setting frame-background-mode to dark.
>
> Maybe you should only do that if your bg is actually dark!

Well, naturally it is!

But your suggestion seems to have done the trick, so many thanks for
that.

Tel (01904) 43 27 49			email: kester at cs.york.ac.uk