* Re: Moving from 2 pop3s to IMAP + pop3
       [not found]                   ` <84wums1n2q.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
@ 2002-12-02 15:12                     ` Kester Clegg
From: Kester Clegg @ 2002-12-02 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Kester Clegg <kester@RemoveThisBit.cs.york.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > Yes, as it seems there's a whole world of people out there with more
> > than one mail account on different servers, and they can't always choose
> > their backend.  But if you do use nnimap as pop++, downloading
> > everything locally, can you then use a single set of split rules for
> > both an nnmail server & your nnimap one?  I suspect not, but I'd welcome
> > someone to prove me wrong.
>
> In fact, it would be difficult to use a different set of rules!  If
> you have several entries in mail-sources, Gnus will process all of
> the mails it finds there through nnmail-split-methods.

Excellent - I think I might try to forget IMAP's mail storage
capabilities.  :-)

[...]

> > The manual glibly suggests you put your imap details in the mail-sources
> > if you want to download stuff locally and focuses on using imap as a
> > mail storage protocol.  It doesn't indicate how taking that decision
> > could limit you if you have a pop3 account elsewhere.  <grumble> I know
> > that's not gnus's fault, but the whole splitting thing when you've got
> > mail coming from different sources is an area that could be made a bit
> > clearer!</grumble>
>
> Well, err.  I'll update the docs if you help me.

I'll be happy to, but you might have to check what I say makes sense!
Do you want to mail me offline with what you want?

Kester Clegg				Dept. of Computer Science,
Research Assistant (UTC)		University of York,
Tel (01904) 43 27 49			email: kester at cs.york.ac.uk

* Re: Moving from 2 pop3s to IMAP + pop3
       [not found] <yqrn0o3hr92.fsf@cs.york.ac.uk>
@ 2002-11-23 21:34 ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found] ` <yqrr8d9hgnb.fsf@cs.york.ac.uk>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-23 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kester Clegg <kester@cs.york.ac.uk> writes:

> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>         '((nnmail "private")))

When I migrated to nnimap, I added an entry there:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnmail "private")
        (nnimap "" (nnimap-address "name.of.imap.server"))))

Maybe additional parameters are required, but maybe the above is
enough.  Then you can hit ^ to enter the server buffer, then RET on
the nnimap server, then u to subscribe groups.

I take it you already have an account on the server and at least one
folder there?

kai