* initial position of cursor?
@ 2002-04-02 16:22 Kester Clegg
       [not found] ` <vpq3cydm9gy.fsf@montrose.imag.fr>
From: Kester Clegg @ 2002-04-02 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

What controls the initial position of the cursor when doing a reply and
yank?

Seems an odd place to leave it - can I put it at the end of the quoted
material?
k.

Kester Clegg				Dept. of Computer Science,
Research Assistant (UTC)		University of York,
Tel (01904) 43 27 49			email: kester at cs.york.ac.uk

* Re: initial position of cursor?
       [not found]   ` <yqrvgb9attz.fsf@cs.york.ac.uk>
@ 2002-04-03 12:36     ` Stephen Leake
       [not found]     ` <vaflmc4gb81.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-04-03 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kester Clegg <kester@RemoveThisBit.cs.york.ac.uk> writes:

> Well I think the default behaviour as a newsreader is rather
> satisfactory, but when using gnus as a mail client, it's very common
> just to include the previous mail *after* your response.  In particular,
> certain M$ email clients do this, and in business, M$ tends to be the
> default behaviour.
>
> So we hit the old 'one behaviour for news, one behaviour mail' problem
> yet again.

I suggest you have "one behaviour for some groups, a different
behaviour for others". It depends on the common style of the group,
not whether it is "news" or "mail". For example, many news groups are
echoed to a mailing list, but that doesn't affect the common style.

> Perhaps I can run Paul's hook just for a particular group, i.e. my
> work email group?

Maybe there's a way to set this with posting styles? If not, perhaps
there should be?

--
-- Stephe

@ 2002-04-04 12:13       ` Kester Clegg
From: Kester Clegg @ 2002-04-04 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You can have the hook check gnus-newsgroup-name against a regexp:
>
> (defun kc-move-point ()
>   (when (and gnus-newsgroup-name (string-match "x" gnus-newsgroup-name))
>     (goto-char (point-max))))
> (add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'kc-move-point)
>
> This moves point to the end for all groups which have x in their names.
>
> kai

Kai, your energy is quite something.  Or can you just write code like
that off the top of your head without the need to check?  ;-)

Thanks for that, though having learnt some new commands, I really ought
to practice what I preach, and try and learn the default way of doing
things first before I dive in and customise...

Tel (01904) 43 27 49			email: kester at cs.york.ac.uk