* Problem with European characters (umlauts, euro etc.)
@ 2006-04-01  9:36 Jarmo Hurri
       [not found] ` <mailman.284.1143964818.2481.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2006-04-01  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all!

I have a problem with gnus and I can't sort it out by myself. When I
get email from my friends who use Windows machines and other sorts of
weird connections (maybe even email connections via mobile phones),
the more exotic European characters are all mixed up. For example, the
"small a with umlauts on top" -character is shown as ä (hope you are
seeing this right, but that is a large A with a tilde on top followed
by a euro sign).

I did a bunch of searches via groups.google.com but could not figure
out how to rectify this. Anyone?

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use firstname.lastname@cs.helsinki.fi .

* Re: Problem with European characters (umlauts, euro etc.)
@ 2006-04-02  4:54 ` Ivan Boldyrev
       [not found] ` <mailman.284.1143964818.2481.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Ivan Boldyrev @ 2006-04-02  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9431 day of my life Jarmo Hurri wrote:
> I have a problem with gnus and I can't sort it out by myself. When I
> get email from my friends who use Windows machines and other sorts of
> weird connections (maybe even email connections via mobile phones),
> the more exotic European characters are all mixed up. For example, the
> "small a with umlauts on top" -character is shown as ä (hope you are
> seeing this right, but that is a large A with a tilde on top followed
> by a euro sign).

This is an UTF-8 representation of "small a with umlauts on top".

Install (X)Emacs with MULE for unicode support.

P.S.  I don't know how good is MULE support in XEmacs.

--
Ivan Boldyrev

                                                  Is 'morning' a gerund?

@ 2006-04-03  6:18   ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2006-04-03  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ivan> This is an UTF-8 representation of "small a with umlauts on
Ivan> top".  Install (X)Emacs with MULE for unicode support.

Thanks! Finding out that it was UTF-8 enabled me to locate at least
one solution quickly:

http://groups.google.fi/group/gnu.emacs.sources/browse_thread/thread/2ae28547e8d32f01/ebe7fffb0556b94c

It's not MULE, but at least it does the job.