* smtpmail vs msmtp
@ 2019-08-01 14:41 Saša Janiška
From: Saša Janiška @ 2019-08-01 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello!

Can someone more experienced tell me what do you suggest for sendming
mail from Gnus: smtpmail or msmtp?

The former seems as natural choice, but few times I did experience that
the message sent from Gnus (when using smtpmail) did not go through and
for such (rare) cases I'm considering that (maybe) msmtp with its
logging capability is possibly a better/safer option?

Any possibility to log messages sent via smtpmail?

Any other hint?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
One who is not disturbed in mind even amidst the threefold
miseries or elated when there is happiness, and who is free

* Re: smtpmail vs msmtp
@ 2019-08-01 15:08 ` Štěpán Němec
From: Štěpán Němec @ 2019-08-01 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saša Janiška; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Thu, 01 Aug 2019 16:41:00 +0200
Saša Janiška wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Can someone more experienced tell me what do you suggest for sendming
> mail from Gnus: smtpmail or msmtp?

By smtpmail you mean smtpmail.el? Can't help you there.

I've been using msmtp (with Gnus and other clients) for years and to
complete satisfaction. I wanted something reliable that works with
everything, not only Emacs.

  HTH,

  Štěpán

* Re: smtpmail vs msmtp
@ 2019-08-01 15:25 ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2019-08-01 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saša Janiška; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Thursday,  1 Aug 2019 at 16:41, Saša Janiška wrote:
> Can someone more experienced tell me what do you suggest for sendming
> mail from Gnus: smtpmail or msmtp?

I've been using msmtp on Linux for years.  Works well in my experience.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50 & org 9.2.4 on Debian 10.0

* Re: smtpmail vs msmtp
@ 2019-08-01 20:35   ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2019-08-01 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

While both work fine, I just find msmtp easier to set up and monitor
when using multiple outgoing servers. The .msmtp.log file has proven
useful many times, and .msmtprc is easy to configure.

Of course, it's one more piece of software on your system, but it's a
good piece.

Choose smtpmail if you don't want to bother with msmtp or if you are a
purist and want to do as much as possible within emacs. Choose msmtp if
you want something fast, convenient, and easy to use with good logging.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

* Re: smtpmail vs msmtp
@ 2019-08-01 20:44     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-08-01 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:

> While both work fine, I just find msmtp easier to set up and monitor
> when using multiple outgoing servers. The .msmtp.log file has proven
> useful many times, and .msmtprc is easy to configure.
>
> Of course, it's one more piece of software on your system, but it's a
> good piece.
>
> Choose smtpmail if you don't want to bother with msmtp or if you are a
> purist and want to do as much as possible within emacs. Choose msmtp if
> you want something fast, convenient, and easy to use with good logging.

I'm using smtp with multiple accounts, and a `message-send-mail-hook'
that sets the msmtp account based on the From header. Is that still the
way everyone is doing it? Is there anything simpler for handling
multiple accounts?

* Re: smtpmail vs msmtp
@ 2019-08-01 22:10       ` Štěpán Němec
From: Štěpán Němec @ 2019-08-01 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Thu, 01 Aug 2019 13:44:21 -0700
Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> I'm using smtp with multiple accounts, and a `message-send-mail-hook'
> that sets the msmtp account based on the From header. Is that still the
> way everyone is doing it? Is there anything simpler for handling
> multiple accounts?

I'm also using multiple accounts and all I'm doing to that end on Emacs
side seems to be the following:

(setq send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail
      message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail
      sendmail-program "/usr/bin/msmtp"
      message-sendmail-envelope-from 'header
      message-sendmail-f-is-evil nil)

I.e., I let msmtp pick the account based on the From header.

--
Štěpán

* Re: smtpmail vs msmtp
@ 2019-08-01 22:21         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-08-01 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Štěpán Němec <stepnem@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, 01 Aug 2019 13:44:21 -0700
> Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> I'm using smtp with multiple accounts, and a `message-send-mail-hook'
>> that sets the msmtp account based on the From header. Is that still the
>> way everyone is doing it? Is there anything simpler for handling
>> multiple accounts?
>
> I'm also using multiple accounts and all I'm doing to that end on Emacs
> side seems to be the following:
>
> (setq send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail
>       message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail
>       sendmail-program "/usr/bin/msmtp"
>       message-sendmail-envelope-from 'header
>       message-sendmail-f-is-evil nil)
>
> I.e., I let msmtp pick the account based on the From header.

Crap, really? I've got this unwieldy thing that sets the account using
`message-sendmail-extra-arguments', I wonder if that's just not
necessary at all. I'll try removing it.

Thanks for the tip,
Eric

* Re: smtpmail vs msmtp
@ 2019-08-02  6:25           ` Lars-Johan Liman
From: Lars-Johan Liman @ 2019-08-02  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Being an old Sendmail MTA geek, I use a different approach entirely.

I have a local MTA (now Postfix, as Sendmail is more or less abandonware
these days) on my machine, and use a "header_dependent_relay" database
to make Postfix select the right account based on the From: line. GNUS
just drops the mail on /usr/bin/sedmail (which is Postfix - aargh! ;-) )
and lets it deal with the problem. Postfix then acts as an SMTP client
vis-a-vis my various (three) different accounts.

"If all you have is a hammer ...", and my hammer is my MTA. :-)

Note: I'm not saying this is better in any way, I'm merely adding to the
list of available options, should anyone else be as crazy as I am. ;-)

Note2: None of the outgoing accounts is Gmail. I decided that that was
one dragon too many. ;-)

				Cheers,
				  /Liman

* Re: smtpmail vs msmtp
@ 2019-08-02  6:44     ` Saša Janiška
From: Saša Janiška @ 2019-08-02  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:

> Choose smtpmail if you don't want to bother with msmtp or if you are a
> purist and want to do as much as possible within emacs.

It there would be proper logging with smtpmail I'd probably use that...

> Choose msmtp if you want something fast, convenient, and easy to use
> with good logging.

...but logging feature in msmtp is deal breaker, and msmtp wins the
'contest'. :-)

Thanks to all for your replies!

Sincerely,
Gour

--
One who restrains the senses of action but whose mind dwells on
sense objects certainly deludes himself and is called a pretender.

* Re: smtpmail vs msmtp
@ 2019-08-02 17:16       ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2019-08-02 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> ...but logging feature in msmtp is deal breaker, and msmtp wins the
> 'contest'. :-)

You can set smtpmail-debug-info to t and get rather too much
information if you use smtpmail, but it's in a transient buffer and
not saved like .msmtp.log . Not that I recommend this, as msmtp just
makes life a lot easier.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

Via Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB.

* Re: smtpmail vs msmtp
@ 2019-08-02 20:47             ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-08-02 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Lars-Johan Liman <info-gnus-english@cafax.se> writes:

> Being an old Sendmail MTA geek, I use a different approach entirely.
>
> I have a local MTA (now Postfix, as Sendmail is more or less abandonware
> these days) on my machine, and use a "header_dependent_relay" database
> to make Postfix select the right account based on the From: line. GNUS
> just drops the mail on /usr/bin/sedmail (which is Postfix - aargh! ;-) )
> and lets it deal with the problem. Postfix then acts as an SMTP client
> vis-a-vis my various (three) different accounts.
>
> "If all you have is a hammer ...", and my hammer is my MTA. :-)
>
> Note: I'm not saying this is better in any way, I'm merely adding to the
> list of available options, should anyone else be as crazy as I am. ;-)

Oof! I run my own mail servers, also using postfix, but it just seems
like it would be overkill to have yet another postfix instance running
on my local machine. I send from two accounts, which are on different
machines, so I can't even do this trick on a remote server. Don't you
run into trouble sending mail from a local machine?

* Re: smtpmail vs msmtp
@ 2019-08-03  5:08         ` Saša Janiška
From: Saša Janiška @ 2019-08-03  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:

> You can set smtpmail-debug-info to t and get rather too much
> information if you use smtpmail, but it's in a transient buffer and
> not saved like .msmtp.log .

Right. It's strange that smtpmail does not provide normal logging
facility...

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Abandoning all attachment to the results of his activities,
ever satisfied and independent, he performs no fruitive action,

* Re: smtpmail vs msmtp
@ 2019-08-06  6:37               ` Lars-Johan Liman
From: Lars-Johan Liman @ 2019-08-06  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

eric@ericabrahamsen.net:
> Oof! I run my own mail servers, also using postfix, but it just seems
> like it would be overkill to have yet another postfix instance running
> on my local machine.

(It _is_ overkill! :-) :-) )

> I send from two accounts, which are on different machines, so I can't
> even do this trick on a remote server. Don't you run into trouble
> sending mail from a local machine?

No, not really. Note that this is not anywhere near a vanilla Postfix
configuration. I've set it up to only send mail to my two servers, and
do it over port 587, using STARTTLS and SMTPAUTH, so "the network" (and
"its despicable filters" ;-) ) cannot really distinguish that traffic
from that of a mail user agent. Again, I don't _recommend_ it, but it
actually works surprisingly well. :-) I'm sure that mr Murphy is reading
this, and will make it stop working within 10 min, though ... ;-)

But none of the servers is Gmail. That's a different beast. Both servers
are more or less under my auspices - one running Sendmail (personal, to
be replaced with Postfix "any year now" ...) and the other is Postfix
(at work).

				Cheers,
				  /Liman

* Re: smtpmail vs msmtp
@ 2019-08-06 19:33                 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-08-06 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Lars-Johan Liman <info-gnus-english@cafax.se> writes:

> Lars-Johan Liman <info-gnus-english@cafax.se> writes:
>>> Being an old Sendmail MTA geek, I use a different approach entirely.
>>>
>>> I have a local MTA (now Postfix, as Sendmail is more or less abandonware
>>> these days) on my machine, and use a "header_dependent_relay" database
>>> to make Postfix select the right account based on the From: line. GNUS
>>> just drops the mail on /usr/bin/sedmail (which is Postfix - aargh! ;-) )
>>> and lets it deal with the problem. Postfix then acts as an SMTP client
>>> vis-a-vis my various (three) different accounts.
>>>
>>> "If all you have is a hammer ...", and my hammer is my MTA. :-)
>>>
>>> Note: I'm not saying this is better in any way, I'm merely adding to the
>>> list of available options, should anyone else be as crazy as I am. ;-)
>
> eric@ericabrahamsen.net:
>> Oof! I run my own mail servers, also using postfix, but it just seems
>> like it would be overkill to have yet another postfix instance running
>> on my local machine.
>
> (It _is_ overkill! :-) :-) )
>
>> I send from two accounts, which are on different machines, so I can't
>> even do this trick on a remote server. Don't you run into trouble
>> sending mail from a local machine?
>
> No, not really. Note that this is not anywhere near a vanilla Postfix
> configuration. I've set it up to only send mail to my two servers, and
> do it over port 587, using STARTTLS and SMTPAUTH, so "the network" (and
> "its despicable filters" ;-) ) cannot really distinguish that traffic
> from that of a mail user agent. Again, I don't _recommend_ it, but it
> actually works surprisingly well. :-) I'm sure that mr Murphy is reading
> this, and will make it stop working within 10 min, though ... ;-)

I see... Well that's impressive, and something I certainly won't be trying
any time soon!

* Re: smtpmail vs msmtp
@ 2019-09-16 20:40       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-09-16 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

> I'm using smtp with multiple accounts, and a `message-send-mail-hook'
> that sets the msmtp account based on the From header. Is that still the
> way everyone is doing it? Is there anything simpler for handling
> multiple accounts?

Doing this with Message/smtpmail.el is really too.  Just put

in the message headers and that server/port/user name will be used when
sending mail.

* Re: smtpmail vs msmtp
@ 2019-09-22 17:24         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-09-22 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

>> I'm using smtp with multiple accounts, and a `message-send-mail-hook'
>> that sets the msmtp account based on the From header. Is that still the
>> way everyone is doing it? Is there anything simpler for handling
>> multiple accounts?
>
> Doing this with Message/smtpmail.el is really too.  Just put

> in the message headers and that server/port/user name will be used when
> sending mail.

I think I just never went and learned how to use auth-source with the
"pass" utility. It looks like it's supported, maybe that will be my
rainy Sunday morning...

* Re: smtpmail vs msmtp
@ 2019-10-25 11:51   ` 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2019-10-25 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Štěpán Němec <stepnem@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, 01 Aug 2019 16:41:00 +0200
> Saša Janiška wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> Can someone more experienced tell me what do you suggest for sendming
>> mail from Gnus: smtpmail or msmtp?
>
> By smtpmail you mean smtpmail.el? Can't help you there.
>
> I've been using msmtp (with Gnus and other clients) for years and to
> complete satisfaction. I wanted something reliable that works with
> everything, not only Emacs.

Actually i am old style so ssmtp is still in my ~/.gnus, thanks!

>   HTH,
>
>   Štěpán

Sincerely,

--
^고맙습니다 _地平天成_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: smtpmail vs msmtp
@ 2019-10-25 12:42     ` William Henderson
From: William Henderson @ 2019-10-25 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english; +Cc: info-gnus-english

soyeomul@doraji.xyz (황병희) writes:

> Štěpán Němec <stepnem@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 01 Aug 2019 16:41:00 +0200
>> Saša Janiška wrote:
>>
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> Can someone more experienced tell me what do you suggest for
>>> sendming
>>> mail from Gnus: smtpmail or msmtp?
>>
>> By smtpmail you mean smtpmail.el? Can't help you there.
>>
>> I've been using msmtp (with Gnus and other clients) for years and to
>> complete satisfaction. I wanted something reliable that works with
>> everything, not only Emacs.
>
> Actually i am old style so ssmtp is still in my ~/.gnus, thanks!

Do like I do.

Check my headerz

Make like the spammerz.

Get a free account on https://www.smtp2go.com/pricing/

These guys punch your mail through where otbers can't.

The free account is valid for <1000/Week

--
William Henderson

* Re: smtpmail vs msmtp
@ 2019-10-26  4:54       ` 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2019-10-26  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

William Henderson <wmhenderson@freeshell.org> writes:

> soyeomul@doraji.xyz (황병희) writes:
>
>> Štěpán Němec <stepnem@gmail.com> writes:

>>> By smtpmail you mean smtpmail.el? Can't help you there.
>>>
>>> I've been using msmtp (with Gnus and other clients) for years and to
>>> complete satisfaction. I wanted something reliable that works with
>>> everything, not only Emacs.
>>
>> Actually i am old style so ssmtp is still in my ~/.gnus, thanks!
>
> Do like I do.
>
> Check my headerz
>
> Make like the spammerz.
>
> Get a free account on https://www.smtp2go.com/pricing/

That seems like Amazon SES? Anyway thanks for good outbond introduce.