* usenet newsgroup gnu.emacs.gnus still alive?
@ 2010-12-23  9:20 Rud1ger Sch1erz
From: Rud1ger Sch1erz @ 2010-12-23  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi folks,

while I was following some discussion at gnu.emacs.gnus, I tried to
contribute there or to start new topics. However my posts never made it
to gnu.emacs.gnus.

gnu.emacs.gnus is moderated, so postings have to pass moderation. But
apparently there is no response at all from the moderation, thus the
group looks like dead.

Then, I figured out, all postings, which appear at gnus.emacs.gnus are
forwarded automatically from this mailing list (info-gnus-english).

Well, so I'm here.

Cheers,
Rudiger

* Re: usenet newsgroup gnu.emacs.gnus still alive?
       [not found]   ` <mailman.16.1293141831.13294.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2010-12-23 22:43     ` Richard Kettlewell
From: Richard Kettlewell @ 2010-12-23 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Rud1ger Sch1erz <nospam_tigre@yahoo.es> writes:
> Matthew Vernon <matthew@debian.org> writes:

>> gnu.emacs.gnus isn't moderated. If your server thinks it is, then
>> something has gone wrong.
>
> Well, from http://www.gnu.org/usenet/newsgroups.txt:
>
>   gnu.emacs.gnus Announcements and discussions for GNUS, the GNU Emacs
>                  Usenet newsreader (in English).  (Moderated)

However:

  richard@araminta:~$ wget ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/CONFIG/active
  [...]
  richard@araminta:~$ grep gnu.emacs.gnus active
  gnu.emacs.gnus 0000000000 0000000001 y

gnu.org and isc.org need to get their stories straight.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

* Re: usenet newsgroup gnu.emacs.gnus still alive?
@ 2010-12-23 22:03   ` Rud1ger Sch1erz
       [not found]   ` <mailman.16.1293141831.13294.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Rud1ger Sch1erz @ 2010-12-23 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Matthew Vernon <matthew@debian.org> writes:

> gnu.emacs.gnus isn't moderated. If your server thinks it is, then
> something has gone wrong.

Well, from http://www.gnu.org/usenet/newsgroups.txt:

  gnu.emacs.gnus Announcements and discussions for GNUS, the GNU Emacs
                 Usenet newsreader (in English).  (Moderated)

M-x gnus-group-describe-group gives me:

  Reading descriptions file via nntp...
  Opening nntp server on news.individual.de...done
  Reading descriptions file...done
  News reading under GNU Emacs using GNUS (in English). (Moderated)

Anyway, when I post to gnu.emacs.gnus using nntp, my posting does not
appear, I don't get any response at all. It's just like feeding a black
hole.

However, I have no problem to post to any of the many other newsgroups,
I've subscribed.

Any idea?

       [not found] <mailman.7.1293096130.1406.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2010-12-23 11:19 ` Matthew Vernon
       [not found]   ` <mailman.16.1293141831.13294.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Matthew Vernon @ 2010-12-23 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Rud1ger Sch1erz <nospam_tigre@yahoo.es> writes:

> gnu.emacs.gnus is moderated, so postings have to pass moderation. But
> apparently there is no response at all from the moderation, thus the
> group looks like dead.

gnu.emacs.gnus isn't moderated. If your server thinks it is, then
something has gone wrong.

Matthew

--
Rapun.sel - outermost outpost of the Pick Empire
http://www.pick.ucam.org