discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: Jason McIntyre <jmc@kerhand.co.uk>
To: discuss@mdocml.bsd.lv
Subject: Re: mdoc section ordering
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 14:45:18 +0100	[thread overview]

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 01:52:33PM +0200, Ulrich Sp??rlein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> right now the lint option of mandoc will complain mildly, if the section
> order of manpages is not in a certain order. This is good.
>
> However, while working on the FreeBSD mdoc corpus, I found that FreeBSD
> and mdocml diverge on where they think the EXIT STATUS section should be
> placed.
>
> FreeBSD:                                mdocml:
>
> .Dd Month day, year                     .Dd $Mdocdate$
> .Os [OPERATING_SYSTEM]                  .Dt mdoc 7
> .Dt DOCUMENT_TITLE                      .Os
>
> .Sh NAME                                .Sh NAME
> .Nm name                                .Nm foo
> .Nd one line description of name        .Nd a description goes here
> .Sh LIBRARY                             .Sh LIBRARY
> .Sh SYNOPSIS                            .Sh SYNOPSIS
> .Sh DESCRIPTION                         .Sh DESCRIPTION
> .Sh IMPLEMENTATION NOTES                .Sh IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
>
> .Sh RETURN VALUES                       .Sh EXIT STATUS
> .Sh ENVIRONMENT                         .Sh RETURN VALUES
> .Sh FILES                               .Sh ENVIRONMENT
> .Sh EXIT STATUS                         .Sh FILES
> .Sh EXAMPLES                            .Sh EXAMPLES
>
> .Sh DIAGNOSTICS                         .Sh DIAGNOSTICS
> .Sh COMPATIBILITY
> .Sh ERRORS                              .Sh ERRORS
> .Sh SEE ALSO                            .Sh SEE ALSO
> .Sh STANDARDS                           .Sh STANDARDS
> .Sh HISTORY                             .Sh HISTORY
> .Sh AUTHORS                             .Sh AUTHORS
>                                         .Sh CAVEATS
> .Sh BUGS                                .Sh BUGS
>                                         .Sh SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
>
> It is desirable that we not diverge in this regard and Ruslan's initial
> motive for putting EXIT STATUS after FILES in FreeBSD has to do with how
> POSIX is structuring their manpages.
>
> So I'd like to get some consensus on where we should put EXIT STATUS and
> I'd also like a vote on if COMPATIBILITY should be included as a
> standard section enforced by mdocml.
>
> Please discuss!
> Uli
> --

not voting, but i can tell you what is standard for openbsd pages - we
have neither exit status nor compat sections. we did away with exit
status i think because it was too silly to have a section just saying
"the app exits blah"; we did away with COMPATIBILITY because the
potential overlap with STANDARDS was making the structurer of the pages
poorer (we just rolled it all in to STANDARDS).

so i personally wouldn;t want mandoc complaining that these sections
were missing.

jmc