discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: "Ulrich Spörlein" <uqs@spoerlein.net>
To: discuss@mdocml.bsd.lv
Subject: Re: mandoc vs Xo in It argument
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 20:45:33 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, 25.05.2010 at 20:27:06 +0200, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> Hi Jason, hi Ulrich,
>
> Jason McIntyre wrote on Tue, May 25, 2010 at 06:56:29PM +0100:
> > On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 05:58:38PM +0200, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
>
> >> while further cleaning up the FreeBSD manpages, I'm now at a point where
> >> I have to fix the Xo/Xc fallout. Why exactly is this allowed:
> >>
> >> .Bl -tag -width indent -compact
> >> .It Xo
> >> .Ft void
> >> .Xc
>
> Because i implemented plain .It Xo support long ago.  ;-)

You bastard! ;]

> >> And is there a better way to rewrite this other than putting all the
> >> arguments to .It on the same line (which quickly runs over 80 columns).
>
> Hmmm, probably you will not need to rewrite that code at all.
> On the other hand, the .Ta in the middle of the .Xo/.Xc does
> look a bit ugly.  But i also have some code written that is
> nearly finished, improving support for badly nested blocks, like
>
> .Ao ao
> .Bo bo
> .Ac ac
> .Bc bc
>
> and
>
> .Aq aq Bo bo
> .Bc bc
>
> So, when Kristaps is finished with .Ta, let's see whether i can
> put the pieces together and get
>
> .It it Xo xo
> .Ta ta
> .Xc xc
>
> supported too.
> If you are lucky, it may take a week or two, if you are less lucky,
> perhaps after the c2k10 hackathon, that is mid-July.

Sounds good! So now I know that support may be coming eventually, I
don't need to rewrite these parts of the manpages. Yay!

> >> People really seem to like these three column tables ...
>
> Sure, people are really creative, with .Bl -column in particular.

Or mdoc in general. They really want stuff to look a certain way, no
matter what the underlying structure is ...

Anyway, thanks for info and let's see what the upcoming release brings!

Uli