discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: "Ulrich Spörlein" <uqs@spoerlein.net>
To: Ben Fiedler <bfiedler@asu.edu>
Cc: discuss@mdocml.bsd.lv
Subject: Re: FreeBSD + mandoc (GSoC)
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 15:13:04 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, 27.05.2010 at 05:54:39 -0700, Ben Fiedler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on moving mandoc ports to FreeBSD base. Ulrich has informed me
> of related work he's already started; I just wanted to get this list
> notified as well.
>
> Original posting to freebsd-hackers (and several responses) here:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2010-May/031892.htmll
>
> -Ben

Hi Ben, welcome to the mdocml crowd!

Kristaps and gang are aware of my effort of bringing mandoc into FreeBSD
base. You can checkout what has already been done by cloning my
repository:
    https://www.spoerlein.net/cgit/cgit.cgi/freebsd.work/?h=mdocml
See clone URLs at the bottom.

Be aware, that I will rebase the mdocml *often*, so you probably don't
want to base work on the mdocml branch itself.

Codewise, there is not that much left to do for the *integration*. We
should look at a man(1)/apropos/whatis replacement and figure out a way
to fallback on groff for broken manpages. Then again, I wanted to wait
till mdocml is more mature and has grown tbl/pic support.

A groff port needs to be done, and we should seriously evaluate the
plan9 troff alternative.

@OpenBSD and NetBSD folks: How good is mandoc at rendering ports/pkgsrc
manpages, ie., how crappy is the markup of pages "out there"?

Cheers,
Uli