discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
To: discuss@mdocml.bsd.lv
Subject: Re: Page Margins?
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 16:18:49 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 02:45:03PM +0200, Kristaps Dzonsons wrote:
> >> Does anybody know of a formula for calculating page margins?  Or
> >> lacking that, a table of margins for the common formats?
> >
> > I think the only sane rule of hand is the approach by some LaTeX pages:
> > take the page width and divide that by the width of 65m. Distribute the
> > margins evenly and/or 1:2 (one-page fs two-page), but ensure they have
> > some sane lower limit (e.g. 1cm or 2cm for DIN A4).
>
> Joerg, this doesn't make any sense to me.  Can you clarify?
>
> Either way, I'd like at least one reference for this.

<- left margin -><- text width -><- right margin ->
<-                  page width                   ->

Article like margin mode (one side):
divider = 2

Book-like margin mode (two side):
divider = 3

char_per_line = 65
text width = min(page width - divider * min_margin,
		 char_per_line * width('m'))

margin base = (page width - text width) / divider

Article-like margin mode (one side):
left margin = right margin = margin base

Book-like margin mode (two side):
Left page:
left margin = margin base * 2
right margin = margin base

Right page:
left margin = margin_base
right margin = margin base * 2

The German Wikipedia artikel for "Satzspiegel" has some basic ideas for
this. One important aspect to keep in mind is that char_per_line can be
varied to remain inside a asthetic page layout. There are different
concepts for doing this though.

Joerg