discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* Heads-up: eqn
@ 2011-07-22  1:03 Kristaps Dzonsons
From: Kristaps Dzonsons @ 2011-07-22  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hi,

Just a note that in the last few days I've written a parser*** for the
full eqn language*.  It'll be featured in the next release of mandoc
along with simple -Tascii output for equations (right now only -Ttree is
supported).  I do NOT intend this to be byte-compatible with neqn!
Looking at some output runs with neqn inclines me to believe it screws
up anything but addition and subtraction.

So if you've CVS access, please run the parser in -Ttree -Wall mode over
equations and let me know if it pukes.  It will NOT handle in-line
`delim' clauses [yet], only proper `EQ/EN' ones.  Yet.

Thanks,

Kristaps

*As per the 1975 CACM paper; the '78 paper adds some items (matrices,
fwd, etc.) that I haven't pushed in.

**http://kristaps.bsd.lv/difft/

***http://mdocml.bsd.lv/cgi-bin/cvsweb/eqn.c?rev=1.22&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=mdocml

* Re: Heads-up: eqn
@ 2011-07-23 19:29 ` Ingo Schwarze
From: Ingo Schwarze @ 2011-07-23 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hi Kristaps,

Kristaps Dzonsons wrote on Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 03:03:52AM +0200:

> Just a note that in the last few days I've written a parser*** for
> the full eqn language*.  It'll be featured in the next release of
> mandoc along with simple -Tascii output for equations (right now
> only -Ttree is supported).  I do NOT intend this to be
> byte-compatible with neqn!

I fully support that direction, ...

> Looking at some output runs with neqn inclines me to believe it
> screws up anything but addition and subtraction.

... since my impression when i looked at ASCII output produced
by GNU eqn was that it is completely unuseable.

This project seems to be moving fast.
I'm looking forward to getting it in.

Yours,
  Ingo

* Heads-up: EQN.
@ 2011-02-09 10:08 Kristaps Dzonsons
From: Kristaps Dzonsons @ 2011-02-09 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hi,

Just in case you're wondering what's going on, mandoc now has initial
support for equation ("EQN") blocks, replacing the old

  % eqn foo.1 | nroff -mandoc

chain of calls.

For the time being, all mandoc does is pass these blocks through,
unchanged, to the output.  Of course, now that the framework is in
place, we can work on the output part.

Thanks,

Kristaps

P.S.,

% mandoc -Owidth=68 eqn.7
EQN(7)            Miscellaneous Information Manual            EQN(7)

NAME
      eqn -- eqn language reference for mandoc

DESCRIPTION
      The eqn language is a equation-formatting language.  It is used
      within mdoc(7) and man(7) UNIX manual pages.  This manual
      describes the subset of the eqn language accepted by the
      mandoc(1) utility.

      Equations within mdoc(7) or man(7) are enclosed by the `EQ' and
      `EN' macro tags, whose precise syntax is documented in roff(7).
      Equations consist of multi-line equation data.

SEE ALSO
      mandoc(1), man(7), mandoc_char(7), mdoc(7), roff(7)

      Brian W. Kernighan and Lorinda L. Cherry, "System for
      Typesetting Mathematics", Communications of the ACM, 18,
      151-157, March, 1975.

AUTHORS
      This partial eqn reference was written by Kristaps Dzonsons
      <kristaps@bsd.lv>.

Darwin 10.6.0             February 9, 2011             Darwin 10.6.0