On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 12:33:32AM +0200, Ingo Schwarze wrote: > Hi Yuri, > > Yuri Pankov wrote on Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 02:21:47AM +0400: > > On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 12:12:01AM +0200, Kristaps Dzonsons wrote: > > > On 07/10/2011 23:14, Yuri Pankov wrote: > > >>> I want to propose the following change to man_validate.c - if we are > >>> missing SOURCE and VOL in TH, do the same as for the mdoc manpages - > >>> use OSNAME, if it's not defined, use uname output and get the VOL from > >>> msec.in if VOL isn't defined in manpage. I've attached the diff that > >>> seems to work for me (mostly just copy/paste from mdoc_validate.c), hope > >>> the idea sounds ok.. > > I like your idea in general; it provides additional useful information > and makes mdoc(7) and man(7) formatting more similar, both of which > is good. > > Before commit to bsd.lv and openbsd.org, you patch would require > minor tweaking (missing BUFSIZ definition, move function to the > right file, ...) but we could take care of those points. > > >> I don't see groff doing this on any machines I have handy... do you have > >> a use-case in mind for this behaviour? > > Well, most of the man(7) manuals in the OpenBSD tree profit from > this, look at cvs(1) and tic(1) for example. > > > It depends on the contents of the macro file it's using - yes, by > > default it doesn't do this, but given, e.g., > > http://src.illumos.org/source/xref/illumos-gate/usr/src/cmd/troff/troff.d/tmac.d/an > > you will get the the output with "Illumos" and translated man section if > > they are omitted in the manpage.. > > > > I don't think that it's something where groff compatibility is needed. > > We *do* value compatibility very much and don't want to introduce > gratuitious output differences, even in such small matters, at least > not without very good reasons. I don't see this change as introducing any incompatibility with groff output, that's more like default groff macro used - I'm not going to submit a request to change behaviour to groff lists, and if you see it as not appropriate, please just drop it. :-) > So i suggest that you contact the groff crowd and offer them a port > of your related an.tmac patch for their repository. Feel free to > mention that i'm in favour of making mandoc(1) follow their lead if > they take the patch - or, Kristaps, if you disagree, just say so. > > I'm reading the groff lists and will see the commit to the groff > codebase. Thanks, Yuri