discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* mdocml version 1.12.0 available
@ 2011-10-08 20:23 ` Kristaps Dzonsons
From: Kristaps Dzonsons @ 2011-10-08 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hello,

I'm pleased to announce mdocml 1.12.0, now at http://mdocml.bsd.lv/.

Among many output improvements, this release features -Tman, allowing
distribution of -man UNIX manuals for legacy systems; significant
upgrades to the reference manual pages; and an experimental apropos(1)
working with mandocdb(8) (imported from mandoc-tools for in-tree work).

For a full list of changes, see the attached ChangeLog. An abbreviated
list of changes is on the NEWS section of the web-site.

As usual, sources are at http://mdocml.bsd.lv/snapshots/mdocml.tar.gz.
Binaries are at http://mdocml.bsd.lv/binaries/.

Thanks,

Kristaps

[-- Attachment #2: ChangeLog --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 11166 bytes --]

	* read.c: Critical fix in the new -Tman lookaside buffer code.
	  Gah..

	* index.sgml: Note volatility of apropos and cut out old news
	  update.

	* Makefile, mdoc_man.c: Tweak Makefile and add config.h to -Tman to
	  allow cross-compiling on Windows (via MingW).

	* apropos.1: Use `Mt' instead of `Aq' for email address.

	* Makefile, index.sgml: Get ready for version.	I'm bumping the
	  minor release to 1.12 because this involves both a major
	  functionality addition (-Tman), a new utility (apropos), and both
	  apropos and mandocdb being built by default.

	* apropos.c: Use mandoc_realloc() in apropos, as we're linking to
	  libmandoc.a.

	* mdoc_man.c: Implement a basic -Tman `Rv', like `Ex'.

	* mdoc_man.c: Tidy up -Tman output.  This has NO functional change:
	  (1) introduced a state struct instead of using global statics;
	  (2) documented throughout the file; (3) fixed a situation of
	  reaching past the end of our buffer for zero-length strings; (4)
	  alpha-ordered the functions.	(1) and (3) ok schwarze@.  (2) and
	  (4) are purely style and documentation.

	* apropos.c: Lift hard-coded limit of results.

	* apropos.c: Clean up file a bit: remove errx and err function
	  pointers from the state struct (directly using fprintf and perror
	  to do this); add some in-line documentation; remove state init
	  and destroy directly to the main function.

	* Makefile, index.sgml: Make apropos and mandocdb build by default.

	* index.sgml: Add more version notes to www.

	* mandoc.1: Nix end-of-line whitespace.

	* Makefile, apropos.1, apropos.c: Import apropos from mandoc-tools
	  after inlining all source files (originally including extern.h,
	  state.c, and sort.c).  The apropos utility interfaces with the
	  databases of mandocdb to provide semantic searching capabilities.
	  It Works For Me, but will need lots of cleanup in the coming
	  months.

	* main.c, main.h, man.c, man.h, mandoc.1, mandoc.3, mandoc.h,
	  mdoc_man.c, read.c: If -Tman is specified and input is -man, echo
	  the preprocessed (`so' replaced by file) input.  This replaces
	  earlier behaviour of doing nothing, which I found unexpected
	  (mandoc should always output).

	  This requires a buffer in read.c that saves the input lines
	  before being parsed, with a special hook if `so' is invoked.
	  This buffer is just flushed to output if -mman is the input.

	  While mucking around doing this, I also alpha-ordered the
	  mandoc.h functions.

	  Ok schwarze@, with no screaming when the polished patch was
	  published.

	* index.sgml: Add -Ofragment mode to release notes.

	* example.style.css, html.c, html.h, man_html.c, mandoc.1,
	  mdoc_html.c: Add the -Ofragment option to -T[]x]html.  This
	  accomodates for embedding manual output in existing HTML or XHTML
	  documents, e.g., when invoking mandoc from an SSI or CGI.

	* index.sgml: Break schwarze@'s release notes into sections.  Ok
	  schwarze@.

	* chars.in: Make -T[x]html suppress output with \& (and similar
	  zwsp points).  This fixes lynx's rendering of manuals with the
	  \&, which were rendering as ​ in the text.  Reported by
	  Paul de Weerd, thanks!

	* mdoc.c, mdoc_man.c: implement .Ap .Bd .Bo .Bq .D1 .Ic .Lp .Oo .Pf
	  .Po .Ss .Sx .Sy .br .sp implement .Bl -bullet add more
	  information to the .TH line escape dots at the beginnings of
	  lines add trailing newline character at the end of the file do
	  not misinterpret the ROOT block as .Ap

	* index.sgml: list the work done during s2k11

	* mdoc.7: even though .Bl is not callable, groff complains when it
	  appears unescaped on a macro line, so lets just escape it;
	  noticed by jmc@

	* man.7, mdoc.7, roff.7: Reorganize part of the content:

	  1) Move the LANGUAGE SYNTAX from mdoc(7) and man(7) to roff(7),
	  it's common to both and it's actually roff syntax.  2) Move the
	  MACRO SYNTAX down to the bottom, such that the less technical
	  parts MANUAL STRUCTURE and MACRO OVERVIEW get to the top.

	  Getting everything to again fit together after the reshuffling
	  required various adjustments; also adjust and improve the
	  DESCRIPTIONS while there.

	  feedback and "go ahead"  jmc@ kristaps@

	* mandoc.1: restore alphabetical order for the -Toutput list, and
	  use a width specifier that makes it look nicer; from jmc@, ok
	  kristaps@

	* eqn.7: typos found by jmc@

	* man_term.c, term.c: As noticed by kristaps@, when breaking an
	  overflowing line, forget about pending whitespace (vbl), or the
	  next line would be misaligned and potentially too long; but i'm
	  fixing this in a simpler way than he proposed.  Also remove the
	  kludges in .HP that compensated for this bug.

	* lib.in: sync to groff: support .Lb -libdwarf, update .Lb -libelf
	  after Werner Lemberg committed a patch by Joseph Koshy

	* out.c, tbl_term.c: Major rewrite of the horizontal spacing of
	  tables to work both with and without frames and rulers.  ok
	  kristaps@

	* man.7: add a MACRO OVERVIEW section, similar to the one in
	  mdoc(7); writing this for man(7), too, was suggested by kristaps@

	* TODO, man_term.c: Using user-defined macros, surprisingly, it is
	  possible to have *next*-line head arguments on the *same* input
	  line.  So .TP must not assume that a head argument with a
	  matching input line number is a same-line argument (and access a
	  NULL pointer).  Bug found and fix tested by kristaps@ with
	  groff_hdtbl(7).

	* mdoc_man.c: do not assign pointers to literal strings to
	  variables that might be changed; from kristaps@

	* man_term.c: When advancing the left margin, .RS also needs to
	  reset the right margin to the default and check that the left
	  does not outgrow the right one.  Otherwise, the (rmargin >=
	  offset) assertion fails in term_flushln().  Bug found and fix
	  tested by kristaps@ with NetBSD slapo-retcode(5).

	* man_term.c, mdoc_term.c: Sync print_mdoc_head to print_man_head;
	  this was forgotten after man_term.c rev. 1.25 on March 2, 2010.
	  The benefit is a sane page header line when .Dt is very long.
	  Reminded by Thomas Klausner <wiz at NetBSD>, thanks.

	* man_term.c, mdoc_term.c, term.c, term.h: Remove the terminal
	  frontend flag TERMP_NOLPAD.

	  In columnated contexts (.Bl -column, .Bl -tag, .IP, .TP, .HP
	  etc.), do not pad after writing a column.  Instead, always pad
	  before writing content.

	  In itself, this change avoids:  - writing trailing whitespace in
	  some situations  - with .fi/.nf in .HP, breaking lines that were
	  already padded

	  It allows several bugfixes included in this patch:  - Do not
	  count backspace as a character with positive width.	- Set up
	  proper indentation when encountering .fi/.nf in .HP.	 - Adjust
	  the .HP indentation width to what groff does.   - Never unlimit
	  the right margin unless in the final column.

	  ok kristaps@

	* roff.c: Breaking the line at a hyphen is only allowed if the
	  hyphen is both preceded and followed by an alphabetic character.
	  ok kristaps@

	* roff.c: Fix another regression introduced in 1.11.7: If a string
	  is defined in terms of itself, the REPARSE_LIMIT in read.c used
	  to break the cycle.  This no longer works since all the work is
	  now done in the function roff_res(), looping indefinitely.

	  Make this loop finite by arbitrarily limiting the number of times
	  one string may be expanded; when that limit is reached, leave the
	  remaining string references unexpanded.

	  This changes behaviour compared to 1.11.5, where the whole line
	  would have been dropped.  The new behaviour is better because it
	  loses less information.  We don't want to imitate groff-1.20.1
	  behaviour anyway because groff aborts parsing of the whole file.

	  ok kristaps@

	* term.c: fix a regression introduced in 1.11.7: even a breakable
	  hyphen may be bold or underlined ok kristaps@

	* man_term.c: Support nesting of indented blocks.

	  This patch was originally written in July 2011 by kristaps@, i
	  promptly committed it to OpenBSD, and then it was forgotten.	Now
	  i rediscovered it when merging 1.11.7 to OpenBSD.

	  ok kristaps@	(on his own patch :)

	* TODO: two issues were reported again

	* chars.c, chars.in, html.h, libman.h, libmdoc.h, main.h,
	  man_macro.c, mandoc.1, mandoc.c, mdoc_argv.c, mdoc_macro.c,
	  roff.c, tbl_html.c, tbl_layout.c, tbl_opts.c, term.c, term.h,
	  term_ascii.c, term_ps.c, tree.c: forgotten Copyright bumps; no
	  code change found while syncing to OpenBSD

	* mdoc.7: Add a MACRO OVERVIEW, listing all macros ordered by
	  purpose, each with a one-line discription.  Use this when
	  wondering which macro fits best for your particular use case, and
	  whether there are alternatives.  feedback ond ok jmc@, ok
	  kristaps@

	* Makefile, main.c, main.h, mandoc.1, mdoc_man.c: Initial,
	  incomplete support for -Tman to convert mdoc(7) documents to the
	  man(7) language.  This is work in progress and will be developed
	  in tree.  It does already handle the cat(1) manual, but will
	  hardly handle all your fancy manuals yet.  go ahead  kristaps@
	  jmc@ millert@ deraadt@

	* mandocdb.c: fix an obvious typo: sz was used uninitialized found
	  while merging to OpenBSD

	* mdoc.7, st.in: support ".St -iso8601"; committing on behalf of
	  jmc@

	* man.7: It's unknown whether `SH' and `SS' closing out `nf'
	  literalism is portable, so document it in COMPATIBILITY.

	* man_validate.c: Revert removal of tab warning, suggested by
	  schwarze@.

	* man_validate.c: Remove check for tab.  man(7) says tab is Ok.

	* man_validate.c: Teach -man that a literal context should be
	  closed by SS/SH in the backend (the front-end already accomodated
	  for this).  Found indirectly from a question by Brad Smith.

	* tbl.7, tbl_layout.c: Fix handling of font modifiers in tables.
	  Noted by Brad Smith.

* Re: mdocml version 1.12.0 available
@ 2011-10-10 13:05   ` Thomas Klausner
From: Thomas Klausner @ 2011-10-10 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 10:23:12PM +0200, Kristaps Dzonsons wrote:
> Among many output improvements, this release features -Tman,
> allowing distribution of -man UNIX manuals for legacy systems;
> significant upgrades to the reference manual pages; and an
> experimental apropos(1) working with mandocdb(8) (imported from
> mandoc-tools for in-tree work).

Very cool, thanks.
I wonder why apropos(1) is not installed by default though?
 Thomas

* Re: mdocml version 1.12.0 available
@ 2011-10-10 13:23     ` Kristaps Dzonsons
From: Kristaps Dzonsons @ 2011-10-10 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss; +Cc: Thomas Klausner

On 10/10/2011 03:05 PM, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 10:23:12PM +0200, Kristaps Dzonsons wrote:
>> Among many output improvements, this release features -Tman,
>> allowing distribution of -man UNIX manuals for legacy systems;
>> significant upgrades to the reference manual pages; and an
>> experimental apropos(1) working with mandocdb(8) (imported from
>> mandoc-tools for in-tree work).
>
> Very cool, thanks.
> I wonder why apropos(1) is not installed by default though?

Thomas,

Because I forgot to modify the install hook in the Makefile.  Gah.

On a related note, doesn't NetBSD have the SQL-ified apropos and
libmandoc-using makesqlwhatis as well?  Last I checked it didn't play
nicely with libmandoc, but it's been a while.

Anyway, where would mandocdb go?  makewhatis, on OpenBSD, is in
/usr/libexec, but this doesn't seem right.  Is .../prefix/sbin/ the way
to go?

Thanks,

Kristaps

* Re: mdocml version 1.12.0 available
@ 2011-10-10 14:31       ` Thomas Klausner
From: Thomas Klausner @ 2011-10-10 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristaps Dzonsons; +Cc: discuss

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 03:23:03PM +0200, Kristaps Dzonsons wrote:
> Because I forgot to modify the install hook in the Makefile.  Gah.

Ah, what I thought :)

> On a related note, doesn't NetBSD have the SQL-ified apropos and
> libmandoc-using makesqlwhatis as well?  Last I checked it didn't
> play nicely with libmandoc, but it's been a while.

It was a GSoC project but hasn't been integrated yet (we have to integrate sqlite3 first, but that's in progress).

> Anyway, where would mandocdb go?  makewhatis, on OpenBSD, is in
> /usr/libexec, but this doesn't seem right.  Is .../prefix/sbin/ the
> way to go?

sbin sounds correct to me.

Cheers,
 Thomas

* Re: mdocml version 1.12.0 available
@ 2011-10-10 17:14       ` Ingo Schwarze
From: Ingo Schwarze @ 2011-10-10 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hi Thomas,

Kristaps Dzonsons wrote on Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 03:23:03PM +0200:
> On 10/10/2011 03:05 PM, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 10:23:12PM +0200, Kristaps Dzonsons wrote:

>>> Among many output improvements, this release features -Tman,
>>> allowing distribution of -man UNIX manuals for legacy systems;
>>> significant upgrades to the reference manual pages; and an
>>> experimental apropos(1) working with mandocdb(8) (imported from
>>> mandoc-tools for in-tree work).

>> Very cool, thanks.
>> I wonder why apropos(1) is not installed by default though?

It's just not ready for production at this time and
might possibly clobber the apropos(1) existing on the system.

The user interface (option naming) is still completely different
from any other apropos(1), and all of the MANPATH handling is
still missing.  We have to fix that before we can install it.

See also the commit message at:
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/usr.bin/mandoc/apropos.c#rev1.1

> Because I forgot to modify the install hook in the Makefile.  Gah.

Gah indeed...  Be thankful that you forgot it!  ;-)

> Anyway, where would mandocdb go?  makewhatis, on OpenBSD, is in
> /usr/libexec, but this doesn't seem right.

Well, for makewhatis on OpenBSD, it does seem right, because it
is not supposed to be called manually and needs not be in the PATH,
it is just called internally from /etc/weekly and from the pkg
tools.

Regarding full mandocdb(8) integration, one thing is still missing:
Parsing of preformatted manuals.  At first we will probably go the
way of keeping the old makewhatis(8), letting it do the tree walks,
letting it process the preformatted manuals itself, letting it
remember the installed source manuals and call out to mandocdb(8)
to process the latter at the end.  So from that perspective,
mandocdb(8) could be in libexec just like makewhatis(8).

The reason i put it into /usr/bin/ is that it's a hardlink to mandoc(1)
on OpenBSD, so having the two as close together as possible helps
the admin to understand what's going on and minimizes the risk of
breaking things when people start splitting filesystems.  Besides,
when as user puts his own (special-purpose, maybe smallish) man tree
into his home directory, the user might wish to generate a mandoc.db
there.  So it's not necessarily a "system utility" only, it can
also be a user utility - compare to stuff like accton, adduser,
bgpctl, chown, chroot, edquota, lpc, pkg_add, ...

Well ok, nslookup is also in /usr/sbin/, so apparently, the rules
aren't that strict.

Yours,
  Ingo

* Re: mdocml version 1.12.0 available