discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: Ingo Schwarze <schwarze@usta.de>
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
Cc: discuss@mdocml.bsd.lv
Subject: Re: [he@NetBSD.org: pkg/48640: Many lang/tcl man pages fail to render correctly]
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 18:06:27 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Klausner wrote on Wed, Mar 05, 2014 at 10:27:43PM +0100:

> FYI: A bug report was filed in NetBSD against an older mandoc version
> in connection with tcl man pages.

Ouch.  Starting to investigate, i immediately see multiple issues
popping up.  This is going to lead to a whole serious of commits,
probably.

On top of that, that manual is using lots of low-level roff stuff,
not all of which is implemented in mandoc(1), in particular
 - number register arithmetics,
 - width measurements,
 - complex conditional criteria,
 - tabulator settings

So even if this leads to multiple bug fixes, i'm not yet sure
all the missing features will get implemented.  It's not
completely out of the question, though.  It might be possible
to fix this completely, or it might cause too much work for now.

> I haven't yet tried if the current mandoc fares better.

Slightly, but the output still isn't OK.

> P.S.: Yes, I know, I still have to reply about the utf-8 issue.
> Sorry for the delay.

Meanwhile, i have taken one step forward, fixing rendering of accents
in -Tutf8 to be non-combining, fixing some of the issues that a
switch of the default would have raised.  More feedback is welcome,
though.

Yours,
  Ingo

> .de AP
> .ie !"\\$4"" .TP \\$4
> .el \{\
> .   ie !"\\$2"" .TP \\n()Cu
> .   el          .TP 15
> .\}
> .ta \\n()Au \\n()Bu
> .ie !"\\$3"" \{\
> \&\\$1 \\fI\\$2\\fP (\\$3)
> .\".b
> .\}
> .el \{\
> .br
> .ie !"\\$2"" \{\
> \&\\$1  \\fI\\$2\\fP
> .\}
> .el \{\
> \&\\fI\\$1\\fP
> .\}
> .\}
> ..
> .de AS
> .nr )A 10n
> .if !"\\$1"" .nr )A \\w'\\$1'u+3n
> .nr )B \\n()Au+15n
> .\"
> .if !"\\$2"" .nr )B \\w'\\$2'u+\\n()Au+3n
> .nr )C \\n()Bu+\\w'(in/out)'u+2n
> ..

Wow.  Calling that man(7) is, well, a bold claim.  :-/