discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* -Ttree: non-ASCII characters
@ 2014-05-18 10:47 Thomas Klausner
       [not found] ` <20140519135952.GA8975@iris.usta.de>
From: Thomas Klausner @ 2014-05-18 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss; +Cc: Abhinav Upadhyay

Hi!

apropos in NetBSD is using the mandoc library (currently 1.13.0). I
noted a problem with apropos midi output and asked the author (Abhinav
Upadhyay) to take a look at it.

He reported the mandoc -Ttree /usr/share/man/man4/midi.4 already gave
back mangled output:

root (root) 0:0
        Sh (block) *33:1-35
                Sh (block-head) 33:1
                        NAME (text) 33:4
                Sh (block-body) 33:1-35
                        Nm (elem) *34:1
                                midi (text) 34:4
                        Nd (block) *35:1
                                Nd (block-head) 35:1
                                Nd (block-body) 35:1
                                        device^^independent MIDI driver layer (text) 35:4

The "^^" are reversed, and they correspond to this (from "mandoc midi.4" output):

NAME
     midi -- device-independent MIDI driver layer

I see that the mandoc man page says under "Mdoc Abstract Syntax Tree"
     TEXT       <- [[:ascii:]]*

There seems to be a bug here, or?
 Thomas

* Re: -Ttree: non-ASCII characters
       [not found] ` <20140519135952.GA8975@iris.usta.de>
@ 2014-05-19 18:00   ` Abhinav Upadhyay
From: Abhinav Upadhyay @ 2014-05-19 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Schwarze; +Cc: discuss, Thomas Klausner

Thanks for the clarification Ingo.

Thomas, I guess I will have to handle this in makemandb itself. I will
send a patch soon.

Thanks
Abhinav

@ 2014-05-19 23:52     ` Ingo Schwarze
From: Ingo Schwarze @ 2014-05-19 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss; +Cc: Thomas Klausner, Abhinav Upadhyay

Hi Abhinav,

Abhinav Upadhyay wrote on Mon, May 19, 2014 at 11:30:32PM +0530:

> Thomas, I guess I will have to handle this in makemandb itself.

Yes, that approach makes sense to me.  Our makewhatis(8) tools
ahndles these special cases, too.

> I will send a patch soon.

Feel free to look at mandocdb.c for inspiration, searching for "ASCII_".

Yours,