discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* Solaris 10 issues with mdocml-1.12.3
@ 2014-07-10  0:40 ` Thomas Klausner
From: Thomas Klausner @ 2014-07-10  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss; +Cc: joern.clausen, Michel Jansens

Hi!

pkgsrc got a bug report for mandoc not building on Solaris 10.
pkgsrc contains mdocml-1.12.3.

Here's the bug report; questions about details please directly to Jörn.

Furthermore, on pkgsrc-users, Michael Jansen hinted at a second problem:

"-pkgin & pbulk don’t build because of textproc/mdocml (first a lack
of asprint, now a problem with BTREEINFO in apropos_db.c)"

Both are cc'd.

Cheers,
 Thomas

----- Forwarded message from joern.clausen@uni-bielefeld.de -----

>Number:         48974
>Category:       pkg
>Synopsis:       textproc/mdocml does not build on Solaris 10
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
textproc/mdocml does not link on Solaris 10:

--- mandoc ---
asprintf                            libmandoc.a(mdoc.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to mandoc
*** [mandoc] Error code 1

because Solaris 10 does not provide asprintf in libc.

There is an implementation in devel/gettext-asprintf. What is the correct way to tell mdocml to additionally link this library? Simply adding

.include "../../devel/gettext-asprintf/buildlink3.mk"

is not enough, and I haven't found the answer in the pkgsrc guide. Maybe I didn't look hard enough?
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:

----- End forwarded message -----

* Re: Solaris 10 issues with mdocml-1.12.3
@ 2014-07-10 15:39   ` Thomas Klausner
From: Thomas Klausner @ 2014-07-10 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss; +Cc: joern.clausen, Michel Jansens

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 02:40:33AM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> pkgsrc got a bug report for mandoc not building on Solaris 10.
> pkgsrc contains mdocml-1.12.3.
>
> Here's the bug report; questions about details please directly to Jörn.
>
> Furthermore, on pkgsrc-users, Michael Jansen hinted at a second problem:
>
> "-pkgin & pbulk don’t build because of textproc/mdocml (first a lack
> of asprint, now a problem with BTREEINFO in apropos_db.c)"

Update from Michael: Builds now for him: "it appears that an upgrade
from Solaris10 update 9 to Solaris10 update 11 on my pkgsrc zone is the
reason mdocml now builds. It seems Oracle has implemented asprintf in
latest release."
 Thomas

* Re: Solaris 10 issues with mdocml-1.12.3
@ 2014-08-09  1:10     ` Ingo Schwarze
From: Ingo Schwarze @ 2014-08-09  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Klausner; +Cc: discuss, joern.clausen, Michel Jansens

Hi,

Thomas Klausner wrote on Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 05:39:17PM +0200:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 02:40:33AM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:

>> pkgsrc got a bug report for mandoc not building on Solaris 10.
>> pkgsrc contains mdocml-1.12.3.
>>
>> Here's the bug report; questions about details please directly to Jörn.
>>
>> Furthermore, on pkgsrc-users, Michael Jansen hinted at a second problem:
>>
>> "-pkgin & pbulk don???t build because of textproc/mdocml (first a lack
>> of asprint, now a problem with BTREEINFO in apropos_db.c)"

I assume the problem with BTREEINFO will be gone in 1.13.1
because we no longer use Berkeley DB.

> Update from Michael: Builds now for him: "it appears that an upgrade
> from Solaris10 update 9 to Solaris10 update 11 on my pkgsrc zone is the
> reason mdocml now builds. It seems Oracle has implemented asprintf in
> latest release."

Good, so i understand there is nothing more to do here?

Of course, re-testing with mandoc-1.13.1-rc2 is very welcome!

Yours,
  Ingo