discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* Command-line anonymous CVS access to check out the repository?
@ 2014-08-12 22:38 Guy Harris
From: Guy Harris @ 2014-08-12 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Is there any way to check out a read-only version of the mdocml CVS repository using anonymous CVS?  I once used some curl hackery to check out the top-of-trunk source, but that was a pain, and I'd like to submit patches against the trunk, so that

	1) you don't get patches to code that's changed since the version being patched;

	2) I can just use "cvs diff" to produce patches;

	3) if a patch gets checked in, I don't have to keep a copy hanging around, and can submit further patches against updated files.

* Re: Command-line anonymous CVS access to check out the repository?
@ 2014-08-13  0:06 ` Ingo Schwarze
From: Ingo Schwarze @ 2014-08-13  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guy Harris; +Cc: discuss

Hi Guy,

Guy Harris wrote on Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 03:38:07PM -0700:

> Is there any way to check out a read-only version of the mdocml
> CVS repository using anonymous CVS?

Yes, there is.  Not yet for a long time, i only set it up recently
and didn't announce it publicly yet.  But Kristaps just agreed
that we can go ahead and tell people about it:

  cvs -d anoncvs@mdocml.bsd.lv:/cvs co mdocml

A few caveats about it:

 1. Even though the URI given above might give you the impression,
    that command does NOT give you access to the master repo, but
    to a copy of it, for security reasons.

 2. Right now, i'm doing the synching manually.  I certainly could
    set up a cron job or a commit hook, but i didn't make up my
    mind yet.  I'm synching fairly often, but may forget now and
    then, so it may be out of date by a day or so.

 3. While we don't provide any warranties whatsoever for any of
    our code but provide it "as is", there is a difference between
    HEAD and releases with respect to reliability: Releases tend
    to contain old minor bugs that have since been fixed, while
    HEAD will occasionally contain new regressions that, in rare
    cases, can have considerable impact.  So decide carefully what
    you want to run in production.
    Bug reports are appreciated against both releases and HEAD,
    of course.

> I once used some curl hackery to check out the top-of-trunk source,
> but that was a pain,

Uh oh.  That does indeed sound painful.

> and I'd like to submit patches against the trunk,

Nice!  Thank you in advance, and welcome!

> so that
> 1) you don't get patches to code that's changed since the version
>    being patched;
> 2) I can just use "cvs diff" to produce patches;
> 3) if a patch gets checked in, I don't have to keep a copy hanging
>    around, and can submit further patches against updated files.

Sure, those are all sound arguments.

Yours,
  Ingo