discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: Steffen Nurpmeso <sdaoden@yandex.com>
To: discuss@mdocml.bsd.lv
Subject: Re: GNU troff/groff is looking for a maintainer
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 11:40:54 +0100	[thread overview]

Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> wrote:
 |I just saw, on the groff homepage:

 |"GNU troff is looking for a maintainer. If youb

I don't understand this joke, shall it be meant as one.  troff is
a program with history and still of use.  I use it to typeset my
letters, for example.  I'm absolutely sure there will never appear
any animated advertisments when it does that.  And i hope i will
get my S-roff going, which is a clone of GNU troff starting at the
last GPL2 commit, and extend it over the years.  I'm stuck with
creating mdocmx(7) since November, a reference extension of
mdoc(7) that is really great to use, but adds even more delays.
Regarding GNU troff: i personally will not sign that GNU
petitition.  And as far as i know that is what prevents Ingo from
putting more effort into GNU troff, too.  Carsten Kunze has forked
Heirloom troff and has worked quite a bit on it, too.
It would be a pity if NetBSD would remove a working troff from
their codebase.

--steffen