discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: Ingo Schwarze <schwarze@usta.de>
To: Peter Bray <pdb_ml@yahoo.com.au>
Cc: discuss@mdocml.bsd.lv
Subject: Symbolic Link Managers
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 00:55:12 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Peter,

Peter Bray wrote on Sun, Nov 08, 2015 at 12:38:12PM +1100:

> I had initial written: "mdocml's makewhatis(8) does not support
> Symbolic Link Managers, such as graft [my case], stow, depot."
>
> But than on looking at the code, found that that Symbolic Link
> Managers are handled and that its via the support for OSX's homebrew.
> And found the Homebrew section in 'configure.local.example', which I
> had skipped on the initial reading as I'm not on OSX thus not using
> homebrew.
>
> Could I humbly suggest that the wording in 'configure.local.example'
> be generalized to include all Symbolic Link Managers and maybe the
> control variable (HOMEBREWDIR) be given a more generic name. (It's
> only a suggestion, as the code does seem to symlinks correctly after
> that configuration change).

When i first heard about what homebrew is doing, i considered it
so eccentric and such a bad idea on so many levels that it didn't
occur to me that anybody else could be doing anything even remotely
similarly stupid.

Now that it turns out that it's a concept that has multiple
implementations and even it's own name, i'm not opposed to choosing
a more generic wording and variable name.  As you seem to be a victim
who has apparently been harrowed by multiple such systems, you seem
more qualified for proposing an appropriate wording than me, who
was fortunately spared.

Maybe even in the form of a specific patch?  I'm not opposed to
adding a handful of lines to configure.local.example to explain
how to use the renamed variable with different systems (in so far
as they are different) and listing those systems that have been
tested.

Yours,
  Ingo