discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* mdocml [CVS_2015_11_07] Use of CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS
@ 2015-11-07  5:03 Peter Bray
From: Peter Bray @ 2015-11-07  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Greetings,

When configuring mdocml from CVS (2015-11-07 11:47AEST), I noticed
that 'configure' did not find sqlite, which on my system is not in
/usr/local or /usr.

Investigations showed that neither CPPFLAGS or LDFLAGS are used by the
'configure' script. Adding to 'configure.local' the following:

CC="${CC}"
CFLAGS="${CPPFLAGS} ${CFLAGS} ${LDFLAGS}" # No support for CPPFLAGS /
LDFLAGS

Fixed the issue, and sqlite was found.

Investigating further, I found the 'Makefile' does use LDFLAGS, but
'configure' does not. And the project does not use CPPFLAGS at all.

My understanding (likely derived from GNU make(1), which I use
extensively), is that CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS and LIBS are the standard
make(1) / environment variables to control the search paths and
additional required libraries. As in,

   LDFLAGS:  For -L<path> and -R<path>
   LIBS:     For -l<library> (eg -lrt for nanosleep() on Solaris 10)

Question: Should 'configure' and 'Makefile' be using CPPFLAGS and
LDFLAGS by default? So that the person building the mdocml project
does not need to provide additional configuration for the build
process.

Regards,

Peter Bray
Sydney, Australia

PS: Happy to be pointed to references as to why these variables are
not used by some UNIX-like Operating Systems, if that is the case.

PPS: My own FLOSS build system has for 64-bit:

     % env | egrep 'FLAGS|LIBS'
     LDFLAGS=-L/pkgs/64-bit/lib/amd64 -L/pkgs/64-bit/lib
     CPPFLAGS=-I/pkgs/64-bit/include -I/pkgs/include

and for 32-bit:

     % env | egrep 'FLAGS|LIBS'
     LDFLAGS=-L/pkgs/32-bit/lib
     CPPFLAGS=-I/pkgs/32-bit/include -I/pkgs/include