discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* Parsing of .Ex with -std argument
@ 2016-10-02 17:43 Abhinav Upadhyay
From: Abhinav Upadhyay @ 2016-10-02 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hi Ingo,

It was nice meeting you at EuroBSDCon, hope you have recovered from the travel.

I'm having issues parsing man pages which use the .Ex macro in the
EXIT STATUS section. For example mandoc -Ttree shows following output
for a man page using it:

Sh (block) *138:2
  Sh (head) 138:2
      EXIT STATUS (text) 138:5
  Sh (body) 138:2
      Ex (elem) -std *139:2
          nbperf (text) 139:2

This is causing makemandb(8) (NetBSD's indexing tool) parse the EXIT
STATUS section just as "nbperf" instead of the complete expanded text.

I compared this with the previous version of mandoc. The -Ttree output
then didn't use to show the Ex macro in the output and makemandb(8)
also indexed the EXIT STATUS section as blank strings (I am noticing
it just now).

I guess, I could fix this in makemandb(8) by adding a handler for .Ex
macro but it would probably be better if mandoc(3) provided some way
to handle it?

Regards
Abhinav