discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* Links into HTML page would be great
@ 2017-02-28 14:33 Thomas Güttler
From: Thomas Güttler @ 2017-02-28 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hi,

it would be great if you could create a link which points to this:

   http://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man5/ssh_config.5#ServerAliveInterval

Unfortunately the "#ServerAliveInterval" part does not work. You can only create
a link to the man-page, not "ServerAliveInterval".

the matching nroff source is here:

   https://github.com/openbsd/src/blob/master/usr.bin/ssh/ssh_config.5#L1473

I think a lot of HTML versions of man pages would benefit, if you could
create pointing to "ssh_config.5#ServerAliveInterval"

Of course above is just an example. This should work for all man pages, not for
ssh_config only.

My background: I see a lot of answers at the Q+A site serverfault.com where
the user copy+pastes snippets from man pages.

It would be much better if you could create a link to the matching definition.

Here is the nroff snippet:

{{{
.It Cm ServerAliveInterval
Sets a timeout interval in seconds after which if no data has been received
from the server,
}}}

I have no clue how nroff works. I guess it is not easy to implement.

What do you think?

Regards,
   Thomas Güttler

--