discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* man links at mandoc cvsweb
@ 2018-12-11  6:28 Jan Stary
From: Jan Stary @ 2018-12-11  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

It seems that the manpage links at
http://mandoc.bsd.lv/cgi-bin/cvsweb/configure
(and presumably other pages) do not work.

For example, the link to "getsupbopt(3)" in the last entry is
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?&sec=3&query=getsubopt
which presents a blank page.

However, searching there for "getsubopt" in section 3
returns the http://man.openbsd.org/getsubopt.3 manpage.

I suppose the format of the link has changed.

	Jan

* Re: man links at mandoc cvsweb
@ 2018-12-11 19:50 ` Ingo Schwarze
From: Ingo Schwarze @ 2018-12-11 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Stary; +Cc: discuss

Hi Jan,

Jan Stary wrote on Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 07:28:54AM +0100:

> It seems that the manpage links at
> http://mandoc.bsd.lv/cgi-bin/cvsweb/configure
> (and presumably other pages) do not work.
>
> For example, the link to "getsupbopt(3)" in the last entry is
> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?&sec=3&query=getsubopt
> which presents a blank page.

The reason for getting the blank page (or more precisely, the
starting page) is that www.openbsd.org redirects the above URI to

  http://man.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?%26sec=3%26query=getsubopt

erroneously percent-escaping the ampersand argument separators,
while it should rather redirect to

  http://man.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?&sec=3&query=getsubopt

which still works correctly.

Rather than trying to bother the maintainer of www.openbsd.org
to change the redirection, i chose to change the following two
files on mandoc.bsd.lv:

  /var/www/cgi-bin/cvsweb  # change sprintf($mancgi argument order
  /var/www/conf/cvsweb/cvsweb.conf  # change $mancgi definition

to emit the modern form

  https://man.openbsd.org/getsubopt.3

directly.

> However, searching there for "getsubopt" in section 3
> returns the http://man.openbsd.org/getsubopt.3 manpage.
>
> I suppose the format of the link has changed.

Wrong guess.  The old link format is still supported,
only the redirection appears to be broken.

That said, we could consider deleting support for the old link
format - both on www.openbsd.org to simplify the web server
configuration and in cgi.c to simplify the mandoc source code.
I guess it has been supported for long enough now...

Yours,
  Ingo