discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* Cross references to specific sections in other manual pages
@ 2019-02-18  0:09 Robert Mustacchi
From: Robert Mustacchi @ 2019-02-18  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hi,

While writing manual pages for illumos, I've often wanted to
semantically indicate a cross-reference to a specific section of another
manual page. One place this comes up for us is in library documentation
where we have an introductory page that contains information about
errors or required locking. It also sometimes comes up in our device
driver manual pages. An example of this is a sentence of the form 'For
more information, see the LOCKING section of libproc(3LIB).'

I don't believe there's a good way to do this today as the .Sx macro
always is supposed to be internal to the page and the .Xr macro doesn't
allow one to target a specific section or sub-section header (.Sh / .Ss).

Would a new macro (or extension to an existing one) that semantically
indicated such a cross-reference to a particular .Sh/.Ss in another page
be of interest to others? I'm not sure if this is something that should
be elevated into its own macro. If folks think it might be useful, I'm
happy to take a look at implementing it.

Thanks,
Robert