discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: Ingo Schwarze <schwarze@usta.de>
To: Stephen Gregoratto <dev@sgregoratto.me>
Cc: discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
Subject: Re: man_validate.c compile errors on Linux gcc/clang
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 12:45:38 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Stephen,

Stephen Gregoratto wrote on Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 12:11:29PM +1100:
> On 2019-03-13 19:38, Ingo Schwarze wrote:

>> Thank you for reporting this issue.
>> I (hopefully) fixed it with the commit below.
>> Can you confirm that the fix works?

> Yes, it does.

Thank you for re-testing and confirming!

Mandoc is now being actively maintained on 15 different operating
systems (even though in that number, i did not count system variations,
different system versions, and systems where the port or package
is outdated by more than one mandoc version; counting all systems
it was ever successfully tested on would probably amount to about
50...) and that level of portability can only be maintained when
there are several people providing exactly the kind of help you are
providing here.

> I've actually found another (small) error with gcc on SunOS 5.10,
> but I'll put that under a new topic.
[...]
> Actually, scratch that last claim because I cannot reproduce it
> on a clean build.

OK, so i'll assume there are no known problems on SunOS 5.10 unless
somebody finds and reports evidence to the contrary.  In fact, i
recently did release testing on SunOS 5.10 myself and did not
encounter problems either.

There was a report of some minor problems on SmartOS (which is an
illumos distribution and hence in some respects akin to SunOS 5.10)
though; the reporter promised to send more details what exactly
goes wrong on SmartOS when he finds the time, such that i will
hopeful be able to fix those issues.

Yours,
  Ingo