discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* Google Season of Docs
@ 2019-04-16 23:31 Stephen Gregoratto
From: Stephen Gregoratto @ 2019-04-16 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Much like the Summer of Code, Google is now sponsoring a Season of
Docs[1] to improve Open Source documentation. There's still time for
organisations to submit applications for entry (until April 23 20:00
UTC).

The application details for projects are available here[2], but the gist
is as follows:
  - Get at least two "administrators" to oversee your projects
  - Create a list of writing projects and then assign at least two
    mentors for each of them. There's a couple of project ideas that
    Google suggest here[3], but I'm sure you have your own.
  - When you have finalised your list, publish them online.
  - Submit your application and sign up your admins, mentors before the
    23rd.

After this, technical writers apply and get in contact with orgs.
There's too much info here for me to summarise, so I'll just link the
timeline[4]. Note that the actual writing period is Sep 2-Nov 22.

Since I'm singing up I thought I'd let you'd know, seems like something
you might be interested in.

[1] https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/
[2] https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/admin-guide
[3] https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/project-ideas
[4] https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/timeline
--
Stephen Gregoratto
PGP: 3FC6 3D0E 2801 C348 1C44 2D34 A80C 0F8E 8BAB EC8B

* Re: Google Season of Docs
@ 2019-04-17  0:01 ` Ingo Schwarze
From: Ingo Schwarze @ 2019-04-17  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Gregoratto; +Cc: discuss

Hi Stephen,

Stephen Gregoratto wrote on Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 09:31:20AM +1000:

> Much like the Summer of Code,

If i remember correctly, OpenBSD participated one time in the GSoC -
and rued it.  The administrative overhead vastly exceeded the benefit.

> Google is now sponsoring a Season of
> Docs[1] to improve Open Source documentation. There's still time for
> organisations to submit applications for entry (until April 23 20:00
> UTC).
>
> The application details for projects are available here[2], but the gist
> is as follows:
>   - Get at least two "administrators" to oversee your projects

That's far beyond the means of the mandoc project.
I think it would even exceed the capacity of the OpenBSD project.

>   - Create a list of writing projects and then assign at least two
>     mentors for each of them. There's a couple of project ideas that
>     Google suggest here[3], but I'm sure you have your own.
>   - When you have finalised your list, publish them online.
>   - Submit your application and sign up your admins, mentors before the
>     23rd.
>
> After this, technical writers apply and get in contact with orgs.
> There's too much info here for me to summarise, so I'll just link the
> timeline[4]. Note that the actual writing period is Sep 2-Nov 22.
>
> Since I'm singing up

Singing up?  Do you mean "signing up"?  But even then, i'm not sure i
understand.  How can you sign up?  Individuals can only start signing
up after April 30 if i understand the timeline correctly.

> I thought I'd let you'd know, seems like something
> you might be interested in.

Thanks for the pointer, i hadn't heard about it before.  Sure, it
no doubt feels even less valuable than GSoC itself for reaping any
actual benefit - but all the same, hearing about what kind of
bureaucracy large corporations are erecting in the vicinity of our
project is no doubt interesting and entertaining.  :-)

Yours,
  Ingo