discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: Ingo Schwarze <schwarze@usta.de>
To: Jan Stary <hans@stare.cz>
Cc: discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
Subject: Re: Mandoc for oil
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 16:54:15 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Jan,

Jan Stary wrote on Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 04:27:14PM +0200:
> On Jun 14 14:29:41, schwarze@usta.de wrote:

>> The following may or may not work, not sure though:
>>  - SUN Solaris 10 and older

> I can atest to Solaris 11.3 (SunOS 5.11)
> happily runing all recent releases of mandoc.

While certainly true, that wasn't the question, though;
building and running mandoc works even on Solaris 9 (= SunOS 5.9)
and on AIX; not sure whether HP-UX was ever tested.

The question was on which systems the native man(1) utility
might be unable to cope with manual pages in mdoc(7) format.

According to my testing on the OpenCSW cluster, the native man(1)
does handle mdoc(7) input on Solaris 11.3, which is no surprise
because the manual page of Solaris 11.3 man(1) says:

  Source Format
    Reference Manual pages are marked up with either nroff  (see  groff(1))
    or  SGML (Standard Generalized Markup Language) tags (see sgml(5)). The
    man command recognizes the  type  of  markup  and  processes  the  file
    accordingly.

In contrast, it appears that Solaris 10 did not yet use groff by
default for manual page display.  That's why is said that Solaris 10
might still need versions of manual pages converted from mdoc(7)
to man(7).

Yours,
  Ingo