discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
 help / color / Atom feed
* Re: mandoc mailing list archives
       [not found]   ` <20200405024100.GE27565@ultron.spinoli.org>
@ 2020-04-05  7:50     ` Jan Stary
  2020-04-05 13:43       ` Ingo Schwarze
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 2+ messages in thread
From: Jan Stary @ 2020-04-05  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss; +Cc: Hank Leininger, webguy

On Apr 04 20:41:00, hlein@marc.info wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 04, 2020 at 01:07:01PM -0600, Hank Leininger wrote:
> > 
> > Sure.  I've sent subscription requests, I'll activate the list once
> > those are complete.
> > 
> > I also pulled down the existing archives from inbox.vuxu.org, that's a
> > neat service/software that I don't think I've seen before. Making each
> > list message available as a git commit, that's pretty slick. I will need
> > to whip up a quick script to turn them back into an importable mbox, but
> > that'll be easy.
> 
> Done, they're now available:
> 
>   https://marc.info/?l=mandoc-discuss
>   https://marc.info/?l=mandoc-source
>   https://marc.info/?l=mandoc-tech
> 
> Thanks again to Leah Neukirchen for inbox.vuxu.org, which allowed me to
> fetch and import the existing archives easily.
> 
> I could not decide what existing list-group in MARC the mandoc lists
> ought to be categorized under, after thinking deeply about the question
> for about 20 seconds.  Do you have any suggestions?
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Hank Leininger <hlein@marc.info>
> ED0E 3040 4240 1DD9 5B2E  6DEC A60B CB9D 0939 76F7


--
 To unsubscribe send an email to discuss+unsubscribe@mandoc.bsd.lv


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 2+ messages in thread

* Re: mandoc mailing list archives
  2020-04-05  7:50     ` mandoc mailing list archives Jan Stary
@ 2020-04-05 13:43       ` Ingo Schwarze
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 2+ messages in thread
From: Ingo Schwarze @ 2020-04-05 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hank Leininger, webguy; +Cc: discuss

Hi Hank,

On Apr 04 20:41:00, hlein@marc.info wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 04, 2020 at 01:07:01PM -0600, Hank Leininger wrote:

>> Sure.  I've sent subscription requests,

Heh.  I did wonder where those came from, but after checking in our mail
logs that they came in from address=205.134.191.172 host=marc1.marc.info,
i figured they might be legitimate and just approved them to see what
would happen.

>> I'll activate the list once those are complete.
>> 
>> I also pulled down the existing archives from inbox.vuxu.org, that's a
>> neat service/software that I don't think I've seen before. Making each
>> list message available as a git commit, that's pretty slick. I will need
>> to whip up a quick script to turn them back into an importable mbox, but
>> that'll be easy.

We don't seem to be very good at communicating.  :-)
You kind of reverted the conversion that Leah did to get what i sent
to her into the format she needed for vuxu.org.
No matter, the double conversion appears to have worked.

> Done, they're now available:
> 
>   https://marc.info/?l=mandoc-discuss
>   https://marc.info/?l=mandoc-source
>   https://marc.info/?l=mandoc-tech

Thanks.  I have added marc.info to https://mandoc.bsd.lv/contact.html
in addition to vuxu.org.  Not because i consider one or the other
better or more important, but merely for two simple reasons:

 * Both show the the same content in different style.  Some users
   may like one better, some the other, as a matter of personal
   taste, so to have both can be convenient.  Vuxu.org appears to
   have more features, marc.info appears to have a leaner user
   interface that may feel more familiar to some.

 * Having links to both may also be helpful during times when there
   happen to be certain kinds of network disruptions.

> Thanks again to Leah Neukirchen for inbox.vuxu.org, which allowed me to
> fetch and import the existing archives easily.
> 
> I could not decide what existing list-group in MARC the mandoc lists
> ought to be categorized under, after thinking deeply about the question
> for about 20 seconds.  Do you have any suggestions?

Among those categories that you have, i agree that the "Misc"
category you picked fits best.  You don't appear to have anything
like "text processing", "typography", "printing", "documentation",
"editing" or similar, and i'm not sure it would be warranted to
introduce any such category just for mandoc, unless you have lots
of other stuff that you would also want to move there.

One thing i'm wondering about, though: looking through the
  https://marc.info/
start page, i can't seem to find the string "mandoc".  But
using the search box at the top, the mandoc lists do show up.

Yours,
  Ingo
--
 To unsubscribe send an email to discuss+unsubscribe@mandoc.bsd.lv


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 2+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 2+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
     [not found] <20200403143304.GA82249@www.stare.cz>
     [not found] ` <20200404190701.GD27565@ultron.spinoli.org>
     [not found]   ` <20200405024100.GE27565@ultron.spinoli.org>
2020-04-05  7:50     ` mandoc mailing list archives Jan Stary
2020-04-05 13:43       ` Ingo Schwarze

discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv

Archives are clonable: git clone --mirror http://inbox.vuxu.org/mandoc-discuss

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.vuxu.org/vuxu.archive.mandoc.discuss


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git