On Mon, Oct 04, 2021 at 10:06:59AM +0200, Ingo Schwarze wrote: > Hi Cameron, > > Cameron Katri wrote on Sun, Oct 03, 2021 at 07:16:30PM -0400: > > > Well this is a very niche use case, but on FreeBSD they patch msec.in > > to say "FreeBSD General Commands Manual" etc. > > I think that patching is ill-advised. In manual pages, the operating > system name is supposed to be printed in the footer line (lower left > corner), not in the header line. One consequence of the FreeBSD > patching is that if you format manual pages of another operating system > on FreeBSD, the header line will always include the misleading string > "FreeBSD" anyway, and as you observed, there is no way to tell mandoc > to leave it out. > > The string in the footer line, on the other hand, defaults to uname(3), > which already includes "FreeBSD" by default, and can be overridden > both by the "-I os=" option on the command line and by the .Os macro > in the manual page. > > The file msec.in does not exist for the purpose of branding that > FreeBSD abuses it for, but to accomodate differing volume conventions > of operating systems. For example, illumos has traditionally been > using the System V convention that includes > I will try and get this patch removed from FreeBSD, which I agree is a much better solution. - Cameron Katri -- Cameron Katri Email: me@cameronkatri.com PGP Fingerprint: 7D3B36CEA40FCC2181FB6DCDBAFFD97826540F1C