Hi! I'm attaching a manual that reproduces this; in short: .Bl -tag -compact -offset 4n -width ".Sy \e\e , \ea , \eb , \et" works, but .Bl -tag -offset 4n -width ".Sy [\& Ns Ar c Ns Sy *] , [\& Ns Ar c Ns Sy * Ns Ar len Ns Sy \&]" doesn't. Wherein "doesn't" is defined as "I think it's just taking the literal width of the string", which means mandoc really struggles to set this: -- >8 -- OOPPTTIIOONNSS SSEETT EEXXPPAANNSSIIOONN In all places where an arbitrary character is allowed, it can instead be one of the following escapes: \\\\, \\aa, \\bb, \\tt \\nn, \\vv, \\ff, \\rr The backslash, bell, backspace, tab, line feed, vertical tab, form feed, and carriage return characters, respectively. \\_O[_O[_O]] Octal byte of value. \\_c Literal _c, without considering any other sequences. Additionally, the following expansions are recognised: _f--_t Inclusive range of all &c. [[::_c_l_a_s_s::]] Where _c_l_a_s_s may be any of aallnnuumm alphanumeric characters aallpphhaa letters bbllaannkk blanks -- >8 -- This is on a fresh (like, 20 minutes old) CVS checkout, and also affects 1.14.5-1 off Debian. groff processes this fine in both [nt]roff modes. Best, наб