discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* No/broken handling of backspaces in the source?
@ 2022-09-17 17:03 наб
From: наб @ 2022-09-17 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hi!

A common pattern in very old (especially pre-troff) manuals I read often
is "aecn^H^H^H^H____" used to underline aecn ‒ this is a trivial
consequence of being made for typewriters.

[In the following examples a diacriticised character is used to
 represent that character but underlined.]

groff handles this correctly, i.e.
  printf 'aecn\b\b\b\b____ ____\b\b\b\bAECN\n.br\na\b_\t_\bA'
is rendered by groff as
  ąęćń ĄĘĆŃ
  ą       Ą
and by less as
  ą___ ĄECN
  .br
  ą       Ą
but by mandoc (1.14.5-1 and current CVS) as
  a?_  _?A

It's unclear to me if this is supposed to happen, but I didn't see it in
the TODO, so.

Best,
наб