Hi, Let's be creative! I've cooked up a tiny little patch that does the following. (1) Add an `-I' mode to apropos.c (apropos/whatis). (2) If `-I', prepend a choice number to each matching manual. (3) If `-I', instead of returning, ask the user for their choice. (4) Pipe result into MANPAGER/PAGER/more(1). Or by way of example: % MANPAGER=head ./whatis -I find [1] File::Find(3p) - Traverse a directory tree. [2] find(1) - walk a file hierarchy [3] Pod::Find(3p) - find POD documents in directory trees Choose a manual number: 2 FIND(1) General Commands Manual FIND(1) NAME find -- walk a file hierarchy SYNOPSIS find [-dHhLXx] [-f path] path ... [expression] DESCRIPTION find recursively descends the directory tree for each path Thoughts on this? My reasoning was people will probably go from apropos/whatis into man anyway. Might as well save them the trouble. My original thought was to add a `man' mode, like `apropos', that stipulated Nm~^key$ and routes to the first option. I went with the above route to avoid the sticky part of sorting output properly. Of course, with a few hours of work, the `man' mode is quite possible. However, mandocdb(8) would need to respect the man.conf arguments more. Thoughts? Kristaps