discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: Kristaps Dzonsons <kristaps@bsd.lv>
To: discuss@mdocml.bsd.lv
Subject: Re: [doug@cs.dartmouth.edu: [Groff] groff to RTF or Word]
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 12:01:51 +0100	[thread overview]

> i have to share this, even though it's arguable mildly off topic,
> but then again, not that much.  This is among the most hilarious
> postings i have seen in some time.  Or rather, you don't know whether
> you should feel like laughing - or crying.
>
> I mean, requesting a paper by Malcolm Douglas McIlroy for a journal,
> than telling him that you accept "any kind of digital text--as
> long as it's Word or RTF"?  Oh boy!
>
> In case anybody can help him, please do so, and thank him for
> writing runoff - and for his major contributions to AT&T Unix.
> But to be frank, i have very little hope for his case.
>
> Maybe he should just drop Bill Gates a mail and kindly ask him,
> as his younger colleague, who is in part clearly building on his,
> Doug's, work, whether he can quickly hack up four small preprocessor
> scripts for him, taking tbl(7), eqn(7), pic(7), and roff(7) input,
> that he can use as as filters to pipe into MS Word...

I saw this too and it's quite silly -- I wonder which journal?  I guess
most non-scientific journals (and magazines, of course) accept strange
formats like that... Ingo, maybe it's time for a -Tdocx output mode? ;)
  (I wonder if this is possible... if we had a -Txml, which would be
pretty easy, then you could translate--gah!  No!)

Doug was a great help for the manpages history -- he even took the time
to scan some of his original roff and runoff manuals (you can find them
in the 1969 runoff section).

Speaking of which, it'd be neat to have an adjoining mini-project for
manpage utilities.  Ingo, I know you've also been digging around 1BSD
and 2BSD... I wonder if Bill Joy would field some questions about the
origins of man(1)?  (And why are the BSD manpages suffixed in .u?)  In
fact, I can find a man shellscript in PWB/UNIX-1.0 (1977) and then 1BSD
as C souce (1978).  I wonder who wrote the Very First Version?

Best,

Kristaps