discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: Kristaps Dzonsons <kristaps@bsd.lv>
To: discuss@mdocml.bsd.lv
Subject: Re: -Txhtml produces <p/> tags..
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 17:03:55 +0200	[thread overview]

On 11/09/2014 15:56, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 03:51:49PM +0200, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> validator.w3.org "successfully checked as XHTML 1.0 Strict!" this,
>> but i don't know why, since <p> is a block element (not EMPTY).
>> I guess the validator is too stupid to check against the DTD, and
>> a lonely <p/> may be just as correct as <br /> is, but i dunno.

> latter.

Jorgen,

Care to be more specific?  XML says that any elements without children
may use the minimised form, making <p /> be perfectly valid in XHTML
strict.  However, section C.3 of the XHTML1.0 spec specifically
mentions, in the interests of HTML compatibility, that this should only
happen for EMPTY elements.  So valid XHTML, but not encouraged.
However, as I intend to migrate the entire -Thtml and -Txhtml to HTML5,
which disallows this, the issue will soon be moot...

Best,

Kristaps