discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* makewhatis and homebrew
@ 2014-12-09 12:22 Kristaps Dzonsons
From: Kristaps Dzonsons @ 2014-12-09 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hi folks,

When I'm forced to use OS X, I'm forced to use  "homebrew" to manage
software.  What this does is, instead of installing software, it links
the software to a magical location, e.g.,

/usr/local/share/man/man1/itstool.1@ ->
../../../Cellar/itstool/2.0.2/share/man/man1/itstool.1

These manuals don't appear anywhere in man(1) now because they're
outside of the chdir.  In fact, when I run makewhatis with -p, I see
many more of these from the base system installation:

/usr/share/man/:
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Documentation/man/jstat.1:
outside base directory

(Which is linked from /usr/share/man/man1/jstat.1.)

...etc.

Is there a way to relax this constraint, or would that break anything
further into the parse sequence, i.e., so's?

Best,

Kristaps