discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: Kristaps Dzonsons <kristaps@bsd.lv>
To: discuss@mdocml.bsd.lv
Subject: texi2mdoc
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 16:31:10 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi folks!

In case any of you work with (or need to deal with) Texinfo manuals, you
may be interested in a new sub-project of mdocml.bsd.lv, texi2mdoc.

   http://mdocml.bsd.lv/texi2mdoc

In brief, I started this because if there's anything more I dislike
using than a browser for documentation, it's info(1).  With texi2mdoc,
not only can I easily format these pages in a familiar way, the contents
can also be sucked into mdocml's apropos.

In general, texinfo tries to handle anything you can give it, only
exiting if things really go wrong.  In fact, the only thing it exits on
in the significant real-world corpus of manuals I can find (GNU, GSL,
TeXlive, etc.) is an instance of a multiline table cell.  I format
tables using TS/TE, so I'm not sure how to handle this yet.

(There's also one or two absolute paths in included files, all of which
seem to be generated at configure time.)

Of course there's work to be done.  For instance, some of the accent
marks seem unsupported right now, and there are still commands that I'm
not properly ignoring.  And some that I'm ignoring that I shouldn't,
like footnotes and so on.  The code is pretty straightforward to work
with and add to... just sayin'...

Anyway, it is a start, and quite usable.

The generated mdoc(7) will still emit lots of warnings, 99% of which are
due to superfluous .Pp's.  I think that'll be a small fix to edge in,
though.

Best,

Kristaps