discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: "Anthony J. Bentley" <anthony@anjbe.name>
To: Ingo Schwarze <schwarze@usta.de>
Cc: discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
Subject: Re: Fl Fl for long options
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 04:02:00 -0600	[thread overview]

Hi Ingo,

Ingo Schwarze writes:
> > And again, I still find it incredibly unintuitive that in OpenBSD's
> > grep(1) manual jumping to the --label tag unintuitively requires
> > searching for "-label" rather than "label".
>
> That had already been fixed for some time before this commit:
>
>    $ man -O tag=label grep
>      --label=name
>              Print name instead of the filename before lines.
>   [...]

Hm, so it has. That's what I get for not updating this machine lately.

> It is not so much something that requires an active interpretation,
> it already follows from the structure of the language itself.  Macros
> in mdoc(7) and man(7) form a tree structure.  In many cases, whether
> adjacent macros will become siblings or parent and child requires
> knowledge about the language that isn't apparent from the syntax,
> and in a few cases, there are equivalent possibilities for the
> relative positioning of the nodes in the tree that would ultimately
> result in the same formatting, but that each macro generates a node
> can hardly be questioned.

Thanks, this helps me understand your reasoning.

> I'm not aware of any, and that is why i decided to implement this
> syntactical conversion to have "empty flag immediately before
> non-empty flag" transformed to "flag with double hyphen-minus".
> Going forward, some of this discussion has now become moot.

Fair enough.

So, Ingo, it seems that you provided the solution before I even asked
my question! Would that all problems in my life could be resolved in
such a way.

--
Anthony J. Bentley