discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: Yuri Pankov <yuripv@gmx.com>
To: discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv, discuss@mdocml.bsd.lv
Subject: Re: mandoc-1.14.2 released
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2017 16:35:37 +0300	[thread overview]

On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 20:12:44 +0200, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i just released portable mandoc-1.14.2.
> It is available now from http://mandoc.bsd.lv/ .
>
> All downstream maintainers are encouraged to update their ports
> and packages from 1.14.1 to 1.14.2.
>
> Mandoc 1.14.2 is a feature release introducing
>   * a new -Tmarkdown output mode
>   * anchors for deep linking into -Thtml manual pages
>   * a superset of the functionality of the former mdoclint(1) utility
>   * a new -Wstyle message level with several new messages
>   * automatic line breaking inside individual tbl(7) cells
>   * a rewrite of the eqn(7) lexer, and some eqn(7) rendering improvements
>   * support for many additional low-level roff(7) features
>   * and various smaller features and bug fixes.
> For more details, see: http://mandoc.bsd.lv/NEWS
>
> With the improved mandoc features, only twenty-five out of the
> ten thousand software packages in the OpenBSD ports tree still
> need groff to format their manual pages.
>
> Since the project has been called "mandoc" rather than "mdocml"
> for several years now, the website, the distribution tarball,
> and the source extraction directory are now also called "mandoc"
> rather than "mdocml".
>
> The release was tested on the following systems:
>   * OpenBSD-current and OpenBSD-stable
>   * NetBSD-current
>   * illumos
>   * Debian Linux
>   * Void Linux x86_64 glibc and musl
>   * Crux Linux
>   * SunOS 5.11.2, 5.10, and 5.9
>
> As before, catman(8) and the regression suite cannot be used on
> SunOS 5.10 and SunOS 5.9.
>
> A big thanks to everybody who provided patches, bug reports,
> feature suggestions, advice, and help with testing!

Hi Ingo,

I'm in the process of updating the mandoc version in our tree, and have
noticed that man pages bundled with the release are not entirely '-Tlint
-Wstyle' clean as reported by 1.14.2 version that I've just built, a lot
of noise about man.options.1 (which we don't use though), and the ones
below:

mandoc: /home/yuri/mandoc-1.14.2/mandoc.1:99:20: STYLE: no blank before
trailing delimiter: Oo ...;
mandoc: /home/yuri/mandoc-1.14.2/mandoc_char.7:204:11: STYLE: no blank
before trailing delimiter: Sq \e&.
mandoc: /home/yuri/mandoc-1.14.2/mandoc_html.3:272:6: STYLE: no blank
before trailing delimiter: Cm s?
mandoc: /home/yuri/mandoc-1.14.2/mdoc.7:3076:8: STYLE: no blank before
trailing delimiter: Sq \e&.
mandoc: /home/yuri/mandoc-1.14.2/roff.7:1868:7: STYLE: trailing
delimiter: Ss \e,