discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* Behaviour of .so differs between mandoc and groff
@ 2023-04-22  4:21 Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2023-04-22  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss, groff, man-db-devel

Hi all,

On my Gentoo system, awk.1 simply contains an .so request whose
argument is the man page for the actual awk implementation in use,
i.e. just:

    .so gawk.1

However, although this works when using man-db, it doesn't when
one is using mandoc instead, as on my system. Instead of gawk.1
being sourced, processed and displayed, i get output along the
lines of:

    ()                                    ()

    See the file gawk.1.

    ()

However, if i change the request in awk.1 to:

    .so man1/gawk.1

then everything works as expected.

The example in the entry for .so in mandoc_roff(7) is what led me
to try the preceding, but there's no further indication that the
requirement for a leading section directory is consciously
different from any other roff implementation, or from groff in
particular. A comment in roff_so() in mandoc/roff.c[a] says:

    /*
    /* Handle `so'.  Be EXTREMELY careful, as we shouldn't be
     * opening anything that's not in our cwd or anything beneath
     * it.  Thus, explicitly disallow traversing up the
     file-system
     * or using absolute paths.
     */

i couldn't find any discussion about .so in the mandoc TODO
list[b].

i've no idea what the 'correct' behaviour 'should' be, from
whatever perspective (historical / security / groff-compatibility
/ etc.), so am cross-posting to what i believe to be the relevant
lists.

Alexis.

[a]
https://cvsweb.bsd.lv/mandoc/roff.c?rev=1.395&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup