discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: "Paul A. Patience" <paul@apatience.com>
To: discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
Subject: Re: Proper Macro for Types
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 01:49:17 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi Robert,

> For types which are not directly related to a function or variable, in
> illumos we've been using .Vt. Is this correct? If not, what is the right
> macro to use? Either way could we perhaps add a statement to mdoc(7)
> about the right macro to use for this? The statement regarding .Fa has
> been very helpful and makes it quite clear what to do.

I would say .Vt is correct.
Some examples:

- elf(3): .Vt Elf, etc.
- timeradd(3): .Vt struct timeval
- CMS_add1_signer(3): .Vt SignedData, .Vt CMS_SignerInfo

However, there are inconsistencies (which we could term errors in light
of the above examples):

- clock_gettime(2): .Dv timespec
- ctime(3): .Li tm
- getnameinfo(3): .Li sockaddr (and sockaddr_in, sockaddr_in6)
- radio(4): .Fa "struct radio_info"
  (though seeing “.Fa int” above it makes me think it's being treated as
  the argument to ioctl)

I also found an unquestionable error in the elf(3) series of man pages:
They use .Ar rather than .Fa for function arguments (for example in
elf_flagdata(3)).

Best regards,
Paul